Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice a high pitch whine from the engine? I thought it might be transmission, but if I leave the bike in neutral and rev the engine, I get the same whine. It almost sounds like a turbine winding up, not like valve train noise. Any clues?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anyone notice a high pitch whine from the engine? I thought it might be transmission, but if I leave the bike in neutral and rev the engine, I get the same whine. It almost sounds like a turbine winding up, not like valve train noise. Any clues?
Gear whine in the cam drive

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Good evening,
I have noticed some gear whine from the gear-driven primary, though nowhere as loud as on the two Victorys I owned. The primary drive gears are turning anytime the engine is running.
--- Randall

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
It's the supercharger lol :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gear whine in the cam drive
Thanks much. Will anything quiet it down? The bike is brand new, just getting ready for the 500 mile service. Heavier oil? Full synthetic?

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I heard a lot of whine at first too. Pull in the clutch and listen to the tires. They make a lot of whiney noise.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks much. Will anything quiet it down? The bike is brand new, just getting ready for the 500 mile service. Heavier oil? Full synthetic?
I wouldn't mess with it until it's broken in. It may go away, or at least get quieter. Who knows what kind of oil they put in for break in!

Reactions: mbrewer566

·
2,049 Posts
Sometimes it is traced to the backseat. Slow down and it goes away!
That sounds like the rear belt; if it is slightly mis-adjusted the belt can rub against the raised edge of the pulley causing a whine. Take a look at the edge of the belt, if it is rubbing the edge will show wear.
--- Randall

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the comments. The whine occurs even sitting still with the bike in neutral, so it wouldn't be associated with belt or tires. I'll mention it to the mechanic this Saturday when the 500 mile service is done, and also see how it acts after service and break-in miles are done. My Vintage has a bit of whine, but nothing near as loud, and it has a few thousand on the clock now.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Thanks all for the comments. The whine occurs even sitting still with the bike in neutral, so it wouldn't be associated with belt or tires. I'll mention it to the mechanic this Saturday when the 500 mile service is done, and also see how it acts after service and break-in miles are done. My Vintage has a bit of whine, but nothing near as loud, and it has a few thousand on the clock now.
Hope it is nothing, keep us posted

·
Registered
506 Posts
That whine is when two gears are rotating together and if matched properly, they will whine. Not a bad thing. Better than chain drive. My buddy's Evo does the same because it is gear drive... You'll get used to it...

·
Registered
765 Posts
That sounds like the rear belt; if it is slightly mis-adjusted the belt can rub against the raised edge of the pulley causing a whine. Take a look at the edge of the belt, if it is rubbing the edge will show wear.
--- Randall
Randall, I was hinting at the little woman on the back! LOL

·
2,049 Posts
Randall, I was hinting at the little woman on the back! LOL
Oh well, I can be a little obsessive about these things; makes me a good mechanic. Anyway, my lady tends to whoop for joy as the speed increases, but she's a wild Texas gal...
--- Randall

1 - 20 of 29 Posts