Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there’s been a few threads about high milage on the 111TS bikes and how they have performed, has anyone done high milage on theirs using full synthetic oil?
Any issues have you gone back to semi synthetic?
Thinking going fully synthetic next service.
Your feed back would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Should we break out the popcorn? Another oil thread? :)

All joking aside, from what has been reported here on high-mileage operation... these engines are pretty tough and stable and probably not that much affected by slight variations in oil performance. What matters is keeping her clean and changing out your lubrication before it begins to degrade from heavy use.

·
Bronze member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye didn’t want to start another oil thread.
Just asking before I switch.
Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only thing keeping me from going full synthetic is the price. $85 or so for an oil change kit from Indian is hard to beat considering it comes with 5 1/2 Quarts of oil, drain plug seals, and an oil filter. It doesn't really matter too much what kind of oil goes into these motors so long as it is changed regularly. There are a couple people on this forum that have 100k+ mile Thunderstroke 111s.

The only difference I have heard of, from this forum of course, is that the motor runs slightly quitter.

·
Bronze member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing keeping me from going full synthetic is the price. $85 or so for an oil change kit from Indian is hard to beat considering it comes with 5 1/2 Quarts of oil, drain plug seals, and an oil filter. It doesn't really matter too much what kind of oil goes into these motors so long as it is changed regularly. There are a couple people on this forum that have 100k+ mile Thunderstroke 111s.

The only difference I have heard of, from this forum of course, is that the motor runs slightly quitter.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Bronze member
2,108 Posts
Both,the owners' manual and the shop manual,if ya have one, state SAE 20W40 oil,which is non synthetic.On my last three bikes,as well as this machine,I ran SAE 15W40 over the winter months,and SAE 20W 50 during the other three seasons,which is NON synthetic oil,and with good results.The dealership where I bought my bike from is using 0W60 synthetic oil,which ,as mentioned,is quite expensive,yet the only gain I see from using that 0W60 synthetic oil is no hesitation when ya hit the starter in the colder temps.When I asked them why,they did not give me any definitive answer.So I suspect it's basically to prevent the starter hesitation during the cold temperatures,while also makin a killin on the price.But that's just my opinion,FWIW!! Dummy Dave!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
A good Class V Semi Synthetic will work... Polaris is known for good motors!! Personally I use Maxima 10/40 Semi Synthetic oil. It is a 50/50 mix...

·
Registered
31 Posts
there’s been a few threads about high milage on the 111TS bikes and how they have performed, has anyone done high milage on theirs using full synthetic oil?
Any issues have you gone back to semi synthetic?
Thinking going fully synthetic next service.
Your feed back would be most appreciated.
I tried full synthetic on mine at about 40k and it didn't like it caused serious clutch slip

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
742 Posts
Dealer told me any semi synthetic oil will be just fine. They recomend either their oil or amsoil. They suggested never going to conventional or full synthetic.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Well @Larry S uses full synthetic in his 111 for the last 200,000 miles and never been in the motor. He’s using Indians 15w60. I’m actually switching to full syn 20w60 by Redline next oil change. I ran it in my Harleys for years.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Another member on here @Roadie also uses full syn Redline pulls a trailer with no clutch slippage or issues. He has 62,000 miles on his runs cool and quieter

1 - 20 of 37 Posts