Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Founding Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Vintage. High beams will go out whenever, wherever. Will sometimes work for 50 miles, then not work the rest of the day. When they quit, I'll pull over, kill the bike and restart. Sometimes they will come back on, other times not. I have already had the recall (new VCM, connector) done last year. That solved the problem for a few thousand miles. Now it's back, only just effecting the hi-beams, so may be different issue. No burnt pins on VCU, new connection from last year's warranty work looks good. Pulled nacelle off, looking for frayed/rubbing wires. Nothing evident. Pulled left handlebar switch housing apart, looking for corrosion or loose wires. Everything looks good. With bike running, unhook headlamp it quits, of course. Leave bike running, plug headlamp back in, nothing. Kill bike, restart, headlight works. This canbus? system strange to me. Right now everything works, I played with all the connections I could to try to get it to quit, no luck. Not an electrician, but kinda thinking I have a wire making/breaking somewhere. Once it quits, it won't work again (just the brights, dims keep working) until I restart the bike. Then sometimes they'll work, but not always. Thoughts? Sorry about the long explanation - Dan

·
Founding Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It appears I've located/solved the problem. The 3- pronged fitting into the headlight assembly has always fit a little loose, with the stock unit or the Eagle unit in the bike now. I took it apart and tightened (pinched) the fittings together so they're a VERY snug fit. Problem hasn't re-occurred since. This may also have been the reason this bike has popped 6-7 headlight bulbs in 40k miles. just passing this along in case someone else has been going thru headlights - Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts