Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 2014 Chieftan, once the bike is running the high beam indicator blinks and will not stop. Just had it in for an oil change and check on any recalls. Has anyone heard of this before? Thanks Dan

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The early bikes had some sort of a problem with the lights, or perhaps the general fairing electrics, that I think they fixed with a reflash or replacement of something. A forum search might turn up more info but people were still talking about it when I bought my 2018 bike. It's a vague memory for me as it wasn't an issue for the later bikes.

Another thing that comes to mind is that sometimes weird things show up when the battery terminals are loose, which they are prone to do. Check both battery terminals and the ground wire to frame connection.

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
Per the manual, the high beam indicator will flash when there is a problem with either the high or low beam. Most likely, the low beam filament is burned out. You will still have a low beam because the bike has a safety feature and will use the high beam (when switch set for low beam), but lower the voltage so that it will not be as bright. Pull the bulb and look at the filaments ... you will likely see one burned out.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It can be your headlight bulb, it can be your VCM (only if the recall has not been done) and or your battery connections are loose. At least on my 2014 it was the pre-recall VCM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on a 2014 Chieftan, once the bike is running the high beam indicator blinks and will not stop. Just had it in for an oil change and check on any recalls. Has anyone heard of this before? Thanks Dan
As it turns out, the bulb was burnt out. Put in a new one and all is well'

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I love a story with a happy ending. :)

And the flashing indicator saying that the bulb has gone is a new one to me. Looks like sitting up in bed at night and reading the manual before riding the bike has value after all. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts