Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite things to do when I ride is to visit hole-in-the-wall type places or just interesting local attractions as part of day trips or dates with the wife. I'd like to start a running thread where people can add places they have visited that make great day-trips or dates for people in our region. Please keep this thread in mind as you all venture out this Spring and Summer. Provide a name, address, website (if possible), and a description.

Port Clinton Hotel
231 Center Street (Route 61)
Port Clinton, PA 19549
Port Clinton Hotel and Restaurant Near Cabelas Hamburg PA store and the Appalachian Trail
Great food. Nice roads in the surrounding area. If you order the fries, make sure you have help.

Cigars International
1635 Mountain Rd
Hamburg, PA 19526
CI Hamburg Super-Store - Cigars International
Enormous selection of cigars. Bar/lounge/deck area. Stay and order some drinks, food, and enjoy your smoke right there. Also a retailer of various cigar accessories from humidors to cutters and lighters.

Mt. Gretna
Mt. Gretna, PA 17064
Mt. Gretna
This is a cute, small town in the woods. It used to be a summer retreat for the wealthy back in the day - think Dirty Dancing. It's all self-contained like a beach town with its own shops and entertainment. It has its own lake and beach for swimming and paddle boating. Check out the website for a full list of events, shops, and eats. They have everything from art festivals to live music. I highly recommend eating at The Jigger Shop. It's only open seasonally and is run by students and teachers from the local school districts.

Union Hotel
1282 Susquehanna Rd.
Port Deposit, MD 21904
Union Hotel Restaurant & Tavern
Best pork bbq I've ever had. They are also a huge biker spot - apparently the day to go is Sunday, though. I've been there on a Saturday and there were only about 5-10 bikes there. There are pictures on their website filled with bikes, however. There is also live music on certain days. NOTE: there are no "club colors" allowed on the premises due to the large biker demographic. They have never had an incident, but they want to keep it that way.

Knoebels Amusement Park
391 Knoebels Blvd.
Rt. 487
Elysburg, PA 17824
America's Largest Free-Admission Amusement Park | Knoebels - Free-Admission Amusement Park in Central PA with Rollercoasters, Campgrounds, Pools, Golf Courses & More!
Pay-as-you-ride style amusement park. Special motorcycle parking. Veterans get free tickets to ride. Set in the backwoods of Elysburg and makes for a great ride. The park is not overcrowded and the rides are not expensive. It's a great spot for kids, grandkids, or kids-at-heart.

The Pretzel Hut
2224 Furnace Hill Pike
Newmanstown, PA 17073
Welcome
Quaint eatery and ice cream shop. Good diner food and ice cream, farm animals, and outdoor seating. The Lancaster county area is also very scenic and in the heart of our farming community.

Flight 93 Memorial
Rt. 30 & Approach Rd
Stoystown, PA 15563
Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)
"...September 11, 2001, the U.S. came under attack... Because of the actions of the 40 passengers and crew aboard one of the planes, Flight 93, the attack on the U.S. Capitol was thwarted." The location I have provided will come up on google maps and get you driving directions. An actual address is hard to find, however, simply because it is literally a field where the plane crashed. Do not go by the PO Box on the website, that is just the post office in the adjacent town of Shanksville and will put you off by several miles.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Great list!! Thanks for sharing. We have been to a few of these with our riding group!

Reactions: WhiteBuffalo

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great list!! Thanks for sharing. We have been to a few of these with our riding group!
Very welcome. Like I said, this is my favorite part of riding, so I'm just assuming someone else will benefit from it as well and I'm also hoping we get a couple additions along the way.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks WB I've been to a few of these esp the Union Hotel is only about 45 min away " they also have the coldest beer ;-) ". The actual hotel next door also serves dinner in the old setting and garb from the 1800s " civil war era" when Port Deposit was in its hayday. Lot of history there and if you can check out the original bar in the basement its pretty cool a lot of old pics on the walls, its also supposed to be haunted but I never saw anything lol. The food is excellent but pricey but your paying for the ambiance also.
I will be checking out some of the other places on your list also. We have a Susquehanna IMRG ride out to the flight 93 Memorial this summer, I haven't been there yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks WB I've been to a few of these esp the Union Hotel is only about 45 min away " they also have the coldest beer ;-) ". The actual hotel next door also serves dinner in the old setting and garb from the 1800s " civil war era" when Port Deposit was in its hayday. Lot of history there and if you can check out the original bar in the basement its pretty cool a lot of old pics on the walls, its also supposed to be haunted but I never saw anything lol. The food is excellent but pricey but your paying for the ambiance also.
I will be checking out some of the other places on your list also. We have a Susquehanna IMRG ride out to the flight 93 Memorial this summer, I haven't been there yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

That's awesome. We'll have to check that out next time we're down there.
As for the Flight 93 memorial - Very cool to see in person. Our church group is heading out there the 25th-26th of June in conjunction with the Thunder in the Valley. I won't be there - scheduling conflict - but if you happen to be there on the same days and see any shirts with the below logo on it, they are from my neck of the woods. One of them will be my dad and after being in the Indian dealerships with me a few times now, I know he'd love to see the IMRG's bikes.
LWC_small.jpg

Reactions: RedCloud

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm all over that Cigars International mention...that's where I mail order from...

Portsmouth Flood Wall Murals....in Portsmouth, Ohio is one of the most amazing sites I've seen in a long time...southeastern part of Ohio

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you.. Here I was all excited that NE riders had things to do.. Only to find out your not Nebraska.. your New England or North East..

Ugh another weekend of Roaming the prairie again..
Lol, sorry about that. Title Changed. I forgot the forum section isn't easily identifiable when I made the thread.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New one I just went to the other night...

Johnny & Hons Smokehaus
924 W Penn Ave (422)
Robesonia, PA 19551
Home - Johnny & Hons
Huge patio area, biker bar feel with special bike parking around back. They regularly have events and live music - again, think biker bar. Very clean atmosphere, most were patriot riders or with veterans organizations. I was there for a Veterans Free Buffet, which apparently happens every 2nd Wednesday of the month - sodas and water were included. It's only 20 minutes from my house, so if you do stop in, shoot me a message, I might be available to meet you in person.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I hope to ride my bike up to the ugly Lucy Statue in Celeron, NY when I'm home (Jamestown NY) in the fall.

I'm also looking forward to going to Alligany State Park.

And my Grandparent use to live in Knapp Creek NY, it up on of the hills between Olean, NY and Bradford, PA I know that would be a good ride and then for those interested Zippo Has a museum there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are some spectacular views riding through the Shawangunk mountains on Rte. 52 between Ellenville, NY and Walker Valley, NY in eastern Sullivan county.

The ride isn't a long one (about 10 miles) but the road is so twisty and the drop so precipitous that it really gets the blood pumping.

The local hang-gliders often use the air currents coming off the mountains and sometimes come close to the vehicular traffic below. (Not dangerously so but they're almost hypnotic to watch)

I sometimes have to jerk myself back from staring at them.

You don't want to go off the road up there.

It's a long drop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts