Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems Indian is a little better in some areas like everything everyone has an oponion, I'd pick the Indian myself did test ride one, have not test rode the other
regards

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that a couple days ago. I really would be surprised if the softail's suspension did ANYTHING better than the Indian's. I haven't ridden an I ndian, yet, but still, the Softail's suspension has been around for 30 years, or longer, and it was old technology then !

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seemed to me he was struggling to maintain neutral language for both brands throughout. I felt it was a pretty fair review even considering that.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seemed like he had a Harley bias to me BUT I think he still did a pretty good review.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here we go again............I supposed comparos are inevitable. I've owned HD's many years ago, and Victory's as of late. After going a whole full year without a bike due to financial issues, my focus is getting an Indian in the spring.

Neither Victory nor Indian will put a that big of a dent in the HD ownership circle. But they are making their own circle now and I'm happy about that. Many people choose HD's as a lifestyle. Just like we have chosen other brands for whatever reason, and I'm glad I chose the way I did and would choose the same way everytime. And I have many friends and acquaintances who own HD's. Who doesn't?

I would like to see the Victory and Indian forums concentrate on their own brand and build their own legions. Victory owners have done a pretty good job building a network of riders and forums already. I hope Indian owners will do the same. .

I'm more concerned about both of these brands receving Corporate support and sponsorship vs. worrying about if these bikes are better than HD's. I like Polaris because they've built a pretty dependable bike in Victory and now Indian. If someone now wants a different American bike, they have 3 to choose from. The competition benefits all consumers.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11069 said:
It seemed to me he was struggling to maintain neutral language for both brands throughout. I felt it was a pretty fair review even considering that.
They danced all around it and used lots of words to drag it out... but basically the Indian dominated.

Engine: Indian (HD was down 7 horse and 18 ft-lbs)
Chassis: Indian all the way
Suspension: Indian (although they critcized the forks for being too soft)
Brakes: Indian all the way
Finishes: Do I have to say it?

Yes, The HD handles better at walking speed and it turns a tighter u-turn... Well DUH! It's a smaller motorcycle with shorter wheelbase and steeper rake, it had better.

Softail Suspension: Not designed to be a great suspension system, but designed to LOOK like a rigid. If you hit a sharp-edged bump like a pothole or railroad track you will think you ARE on a rigid. Been there/done that.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree. Wide bars suck. I like the HD better myself.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own a Heritage, but have not had a chance to demo an indian. I felt the review of the Heritage was spot on. It's a light feeling, nimble bike with a very smooth power band that's perfect for cruising the boulevard or the highway. The seat and riding position are very comfortable and relaxed. The lean angle sucks due to the floorboards scraping, but the bike does handle very well in low speed manuevers. I don't have ABS so can't comment on that aspect other than to say the stock brakes feel fine to me compared to other bikes I've owned. The fit and finish is top notch and the paint is the best in the industry. I look forward to test riding an Indian and will certianly consider owning one down the road, but will wait until they are in production for a few years first.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should have been a Road King and the Vintage. They played nice. Hardly the case when they compare Vic's.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd like to see a comparo with a Road King, a Chief Vintage, and a Cross Roads. With a twist. We've all seen comparo's between stock bikes and in each and every one they have to say something nice about each bike. Ok fine, been there done that. So how about take the three bikes mentioned, well, maybe next year for the Chief, and give the tester 3 grand to spend on upgrades for each. I don't know about most, but isn't this what an awful lot of us are going to regardless of brand? Show me what my end result will most likely be, then I'll be better informed.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4902 said:
I'd like to see a comparo with a Road King, a Chief Vintage, and a Cross Roads. With a twist. We've all seen comparo's between stock bikes and in each and every one they have to say something nice about each bike. Ok fine, been there done that. So how about take the three bikes mentioned, well, maybe next year for the Chief, and give the tester 3 grand to spend on upgrades for each. I don't know about most, but isn't this what an awful lot of us are going to regardless of brand? Show me what my end result will most likely be, then I'll be better informed.
I'd go for that....and my money is on the Xroads all the way. A lot of bike for the money, and will out handle and corner them both WITHOUT any upgrades. Even with a Lloydz treatment and 120+ hp, it would be less than a stock Indian.
Victory rocks!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its too bad Harley didnt release a Road King Classic for 14'. It would have been a much better comparison with the Vintage. The Road King has dual front brakes, throttle by wire, air shocks, security, and ABS as standard. It also is closer in price range with the Vintage.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought was a pretty fair review .. Owned a 04 Heritage and Loved it except sat too low for my aggresive riding .. Both of my Floorboards looked like someone took a grinder to it ..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been following this thread with great interest.
And loving the info of this forum you guys are giving
Im in the UK, and we hav'nt got the bikes yet, ive just sold my harley custom V Rod, and want something old school, but with the mondern twist (ie brakes, goes, well suspended) I do a lot of my riding with the Mrs on pillion.
Was going to go for a new HD Road King, but these Indians have really caught my eye!
Im in NY and Vegas for my 50th nxt week and hoping i can get to view the bikes up close

Can any of you guys recomend a dealer..? I see Arlen Ness have them in Vegas

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I own Harleys and work on all brands. I get to ride them all. I agree that the Roadking would have made a much better comparison to the Indian Vintage and I would like to have seen the Victory Cross Country in the mix as well. All three bikes compare well to each other on paper and all three excel over each other in different perspectives. I have had the opportunity to take the Indian out and really play with it, although we are still breaking it in so I have not unleashed the potential power of that beautiful motor yet. It has surpassed most of my expectations in the power department and is very closely rivaled by the Victory. The now standard 103CI of the Harley falls short for power vs engine size department. It should put far more power to the ground than what it actually does. Yamaha's 102CI motor makes a great example for that.
As for the 'ROOMY' feel of the Indian, yeah it's a bit too much. I fit in my stock Electraglide like it was poured around me, a Roadking has about the same feel but with out the wide fairing. The Victory feels a little roomier than the Harley but I don't feel I have to reach for the controls on it like I do on the Indian. After a nice long ride, night before last, I had that familiar pain between my shoulderblades from having to reach for the controls for 100 miles. All of that can be fixed with a seat that pushes me 1-2 inches more forward.
I've owned several bikes from cruisers, to choppers, and standard fair motorcycles to large luxury garbage barge bulky touring rigs. So I will admit that I have favored the more luxurious ride of the heavy weight touring bikes. My measuring stick for a quality motorcycle is how far I can ride without having to get off and stretch or rub a sore spot. I have not owned a car in 15 years so my bikes are how I get to just about anywhere I am going. For the finest in ride quality over long rides I have to hold the Roadking and the Victory Cross Country higher than that of the Indian Vintage. Both ride very well, the Victory has a nice 'cushy' ride feeling to it compared to the Harleys rougher ride over bad roads. The Indian would out shine both of them if it were not for the distance from the controls. I have found the limits of Harley's suspensions too many times, I have yet to find it on either the Victory or the Indian.
The ABS brakes, I've never been a fan of but for the riders who 'twist off' just to ride for the day, it is a great thing to have. There have been incidents in my life where the ability to slide the bike sideways has saved my life. I've got my share of roadrash and took my knocks, so Ive been there and have been lucky enough to stand my bikes back up and walk away.
The controls of the Harley are what I'm used to. Mine still has cables but the Harley Fly by wire set up was an American first. Kawasaki, BMW and others have had it for a while. The Harley Fly by wire is much too light for my taste. With gloved hands there is no feeling of it at all. The Indian has much more feeling to it. While I can feel it is not a cable set up, it pulls back on my hand like it is. I think this allows for better control of it. My preference is the cabled throttle.
I cannot say much about the Cross Country as my experience with it is far less than that of the other two. What little I rode it, I was very pleasantly surprised. The suspension and the power were my first notable admiration's for this bike but was surprised that the fit and finish fell somewhat short of my expectations after closer inspection.
As far as Polaris making it's mark in the motorcycle industry, there is no doubt about that. We got to see with Project Rushmore what Harley's answer is to the large touring market to stay in contention. Vented fairings, an attempt at water cooling, built in navigation, standard cruise control and ABS. Harley still has the hottest motor out there, and rider comfort has dropped dramatically as the engine heats up. Without the stage one upgrade and ECU reflash, it is all but unrideable. The Victory and the Indian soar far higher in this respect than any stock modern Harley. Let's hope that Harley keeps paying attention to what riders are looking for as more and more of their loyal followers are starting to see that there really are other bikes out there that are worth a look see. This will benefit us all, better products, that last longer, have fewer issues and I would highly recommend that Harley have a close look at customer service as they fall by far the shortest in customer relations.
To any corporate reader out there...(yeah we know you read this)... My cudos to Victory and Indian, you have done a fine job. Take my criticism with a grain of salt and learn something. The same for Harley, you are not the only company out there and we know it, I suggest you learn that and teach it to your dealers. My walking into a dealership is not your favor to me, it is my favor to you by walking in.
EASY

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I like best about Indian, it's not a Harley and you don't belong to a lifestyle of posers displaying all of the branded junk like belts, wallets, shoes, do rags, helments, his and her purses et al.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1424 said:
What I like best about Indian, it's not a Harley and you don't belong to a lifestyle of posers displaying all of the branded junk like belts, wallets, shoes, do rags, helments, his and her purses et al.
Not all HD riders are ' posers ' I happen to know a few who ride and also like the branded gear.
I wonder where Indian would be right now had they survived back in 53 ?

If you go check out the Indian forums you will see a pretty strong group of like minded folks who support each other and have stuck by Indian throught the various different owners.

I plan on collecting just like I did with my Harley's and like I ' tried ' to do with my Vic.

Now back to the ' posers ', I went to bike night last Wednsday and only one other bike in the parking lot, but the bar had about 20 ' pirates ' in there without a bike to be seen, lol.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
19603 said:
Been following this thread with great interest.
And loving the info of this forum you guys are giving
Im in the UK, and we hav'nt got the bikes yet, ive just sold my harley custom V Rod, and want something old school, but with the mondern twist (ie brakes, goes, well suspended) I do a lot of my riding with the Mrs on pillion.
Was going to go for a new HD Road King, but these Indians have really caught my eye!
Im in NY and Vegas for my 50th nxt week and hoping i can get to view the bikes up close

Can any of you guys recomend a dealer..? I see Arlen Ness have them in Vegas

I can not say enough good things about Gregory Polaris In AR. Top notch. Rob is the owner. I would get in contact with him. I bought and serviced my black Chieftain there. Very nice folks.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
18917 said:
I can not say enough good things about Gregory Polaris In AR. Top notch. Rob is the owner. I would get in contact with him. I bought and serviced my black Chieftain there. Very nice folks.

Many Thanks e-setter

i see you have had the stage one exhaust in your other post. Would you say its much louder than standard? or just a better sound..?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts