Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, no response from the forum members. I took a chance and ordered one. It arrived and other than the lid being misaligned no complaints. "It has to be painted to match my bike anyways, so lid will have to come off for painting so lid misalignment isn't a big deal. It checked all my boxes! Other than having all LED lights except the turn signals, and I am replacing those with LED direct replacement bulbs. I will know more when I pull it, but for now I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Pretty cool. I've never trailer-ed..... a trailer before (that's probably not the correct sentence at all LoL)

Does it change your riding style / dynamic much?

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Can't answer for the Heritage mentioned in this thread, but if it's built and pulls similar to the Bushtec it's copied after, you really don't notice it. Braking is the only thing that I'd say is different...you have to plan a bit more in stopping with that extra weight behind you. Once you have that down after the first couple of stops, that's not an issue anymore. The Bushtec style air suspension and skinny tires really helps in minimizing the issues so I'm guessing this one would be similar. First Bushtec I had was on my '94 FXSTC. Had it installed in 1994 prior to the return first trip to Sturgis by the Bushtec folks. Was the best addition I made to my travelling bike but the first time I came to a stop, I forgot it was back there and slid through the intersection. I learned my lesson and it didn't happen again. I've had two other Bushtec since that first one. Needless to say, the next one will be a Bushtec, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a Bushtec trailer years ago. Had two other brands before the Bushtec. The Bushtec was the best hauling trailer of the three. They have excellent suspension.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the first negative on this trailer is trying to get the electrical hooked up to the bike. I have the harness from "The Electrical Connection" and I'm having a hard time getting the lights to function properly. The trailer has separate Tail lights and amber turn signals, however it has a 4 pin plug. Everything works right except the brake lights. Hit the brakes and both turn signals come on solid, but tail lights stay the same (don't get brighter).

Everything on the bike sides checks out.
White = ground
Brown = tail
Yellow = Left turn
Green = Right turn

Wires colors match up on the trailer side.

Testing the trailer by grounding and powering one wire at a time gets the following...
Power to brown = Tail and side lights
Power to yellow = Left tail and left turn signal
Power to green = Right tail and right turn signal

Anyone have a clue whats going on here.

Called the USA Trailer Store where I purchased it and they had no info on wiring, could not give me a diagram or anyone who had a clue.

Spent 30 minutes on the phone with the electrical connection and they were baffled by the results.

Does the Bushtec Trailer that this one copies have a 4 pin or a 5 pin plug?

Sent a message to TowBlazer thats who supposedly makes the trailer and waiting for a response.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here? Other than rewiring the trailer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I resolved the electrical issue I was having, but to resolve it I had to rewire the trailer.

I did finally get pictures of the wiring before the carpet is installed, and an explanation of the wiring, however in my contact with USA Trailer Store asking if the trailer could be wired incorrectly, they replied by saying the trailer has been wired the same way since they started making it. Frustrated, I decided to rewire the trailer to a 5 wire to separate the turn signals and brake lights. In the process I found that the tail lights were wired as follows...

Ground = Ground
Tail = Brake/Turn
Brake/Turn = Tail

Swapped tail and brake wires and BINGO!

Being I now have the trailer wired to a 5 wire instead of a 4 wire, I have no idea if the 4 wire, even after correcting the tail light wires would have worked with the bike.

To me the original wiring was curious. Having separate Tail/Brake and Amber turn signals using a 4 wire they had the turn/brake wire running to both the tail lights and the turn signals.

In any case I contacted the USA Trailer Store and explained what I found. They offered me a trailer cover for my trouble. Well, at least that's something.

Now I have to get some outdoor carpet glue and get the carpet that I had to peel back to get to the wires glued back down again.

So you guys can decide for yourself if your looking for a trailer. I like the trailer now that I have the wiring resolved. I'll have 5 to 7 hours into it after I get it buttoned back up. If I was local to the place I bought it from, I would have returned it. But their in SC and I'm in WI, so I resolved the issue instead of paying for return shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts