Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
I think everyone would agree that it would be far better to have problems that the maker has been flailing around trying to fix for 4+ years than a new model issue that does not blow up the engine.

The transfer issue would chew up the gearbox if left unattended and the sumping blows up the bottom end.

But still, by far, much better than a simple ECU issue.

(I wonder if you're left stranded when your engine blows up? Might have to ask the HD guys about it to get clear on it).

IMG_7742.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny people on here were / are bagging Harley bikes for problems and now Harley are bagging Indian bikes with problems you do not like it,

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would anyone believe what the sales manager at an HD Dealer says about an Indian Motorcycle? He is just trying to sell more HD's.
what's not to believe? What he said is basically accurate.. is there not a problem with a number of challengers making some people practice their walking skills?
If it's enough to keep Indian fans away from the challenger, (it has, at least 5 I know of here) why would it not keep fence sitters away from Indian and into HD? So Ya your right he's trying to sell more HDs, and it likely will work.. I don't fault him for that and what he said isn't really wrong.. I don't blame him (I wish I could) but the fault is on Indian here, and the fruit of the fault will go to HD.

2 bad rollouts in a row of Indians 2 "halo" machines, will not go with out major effect to the brand..

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Laidlaw really is a sad sack - it looks like he was the behind the shitty HD ad, not HD corporate (assuming I am reading this right on IG)...

View attachment 576274
Personally, I love his ad. I want him to do more like them. It's the same kind of ad campaign HD corporate used to do that chased many people to other brands. That add will sell allot of Indians and other makes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Personally, I love his ad. I want him to do more like them. It's the same kind of ad campaign HD corporate used to do that chased many people to other brands. That add will sell allot of Indians and other makes.
I have no problem with ad, but HD continues to assume it will sell based on emotional appeal only (that is what the ad really is about) vs. actual testing and performance. The problem for them is that more and more consumers don’t have that connection. You will have your older riders who will continue with HD regardless, but what about the younger consumers who will make up the future? When all they have heard are negative things about reliability, price, etc.? Go to any motorcycle website, click on a HD themed article and the [high] majority of comments will be anti-Harley - you don’t see the same type of negativity with any other brand whether it’s Indian, Yamaha, Triumph, etc. In fact, I read a recent article that showed a huge drop in brand intimacy for HD from last year...

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Funny people on here were / are bagging Harley bikes for problems and now Harley are bagging Indian bikes with problems you do not like it,
Funny that you don’t get that one is a hypocrite for doing so, the other was not when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no problem with ad, but HD continues to assume it will sell based on emotional appeal only (that is what the ad really is about) vs. actual testing and performance. The problem for them is that more and more consumers don’t have that connection. You will have your older riders who will continue with HD regardless, but what about the younger consumers who will make up the future? When all they have heard are negative things about reliability, price, etc.? Go to any motorcycle website, click on a HD themed article and the [high] majority of comments will be anti-Harley - you don’t see the same type of negativity with any other brand whether it’s Indian, Yamaha, Triumph, etc. In fact, I read a recent article that showed a huge drop in brand intimacy for HD from last year...

Believe me, I have no disagreements in this post, you said it well. I've been saying the same thing since their marketing turned me off as a small child.. I saw an ad. On a tool box as a kid that was disparaging something I liked very much as a child. I don't remember what it was but what I do remember is thinking it was "mean".
it no doubt colored my bias ever since. I grew and up ran across many that gave that ad and my perceptions credence..
I've always said the smallest thing HD has to over come is out dated machinery. the largest is brand perception which in this day and age will be very VERY difficult to do..

"OK boomer" is a much larger term with a much deeper meaning than many apply it to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts