Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Indian Challenger - Spirit Blue Metallic/Black Metallic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help! About a year ago I installed my factory backrest mount and completely overtightened the cap head screws. Now I’m looking to change seats and cannot get the screws out. They are completely stripped. I tried using some extraction bits but they only seemed to round it out more. I’m at a loss…. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I have attached a couple pictures for reference.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Electric blue

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Electric blue

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s such a small space. I can’t get anything on it to grip the outside of the bolt. Vice grips. Channel locks. Nothing will get a good purchase.

·
Rider
625 Posts
You should be able to clamp them with a vise grip with them vertical. Mash them on as tight as you can(two hands at least) them use a heavy screw driver in the handle to turn. If you attempt to weld anything on the studs make sure to disconnect the battery at least. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be able to clamp them with a vise grip with them vertical. Mash them on as tight as you can(two hands at least) them use a heavy screw driver in the handle to turn. If you attempt to weld anything on the studs make sure to disconnect the battery at least. Good luck!
I can’t even get my vice grips on the head. I’m gonna have to go look tomorrow to see if I can get something else.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Screw extractors should be drilled into the shank of the bolt, not the head. If you can’t get them with vice grips you have a few options. Drill the head of the bolt off, then use extractors. Use a dremel to cut a slit in head to use a flathead screwdriver or drill through the bolt to weaken then twist with a punch or chisel.

·
Registered
21 scout bobber 60 abs (the Mistress)
293 Posts
Can you get a small hacksaw blade a cut a line on the top so you can get a flathead screw driver to turn them out? If you have a welder, can tac weld a small hex nut right on top and use the welded nut to spin whole thing out?
If you can weld a nut on the heat will also release the locktight that's giving you the issue!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m gonna have to try welding a nut to it. Hopefully there is enough left to get a solid weld. Tried the hack saw. Tried a dremel. Tried the extraction bits again. Tried to use different Vice pliers, needle nose, or channel locks. Just doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Wish me luck…

·
Founding Member
1,966 Posts
The screw extractor, with a proper depth and diameter of drilled hole, and an impact driver is about all that will work, The Chinese screw metal is too soft even if you could slot it, so that won’t work. The fastener is too small to weld a nut too, you will only anneal the metal and make it softer, so it will probably just snap when you try to loosen it.
Use the extractor.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Get yourself a good set of new drill bits that you know are sharp (not harbor freight) and start the hole with the smaller ones. As someone said here you need to get the shank drilled first. Then use progressively larger ones to make the hole large enough to fit the extractor in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try sharp left handed drill bits which may be tough as you are not centered on the bolt if that doesnt work you will have to weld a nut that just fits over whats left of the bolt head and hope for the best

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Such a victory sure feels good, don’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Such a sigh of relief. So frustrating in the moment. Hard time sleeping because it was on my mind. Then boom, done. I can breathe. Haha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts