Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Help With Indian Mapping Tool

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Wharf Rat 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Generally, I’d use Google Maps to plan the route. Copy the URL from GM to a GPX Converter. Take that saved .gpx file and import to Ride Command to download to bike.

With the mapping in RC page, better to add Waypoints than Routing by city. Generally, mapping programs will take you to the center of the city. With the enhanced RC on the bikes, if you‘re close to the waypoint, it will hit it or if you deviate from the route, it’ll ask to complete and take you to the next waypoint.

Hope that helps. If not PM me and we can talk - Tim

#7 ·
Thanks Tim. I am trying that and it works much better except that it will only accept 10 way-points. Also, I have software called ITN Converter. It has maps. I'll try that.

#3 ·
Hi folks. I am trying to use the Indian Mapping tool from the website and it's a *. I made this little video to explain the problem. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Len
@lenbabin
Watching your video now.
Grab point #2 and move it north, along CR31, OR, east along Country Rd 2, away from the CR31/CR2 intersection. That should straighten out the problem. You are forcing a way point to appear along the route near that wonky area.

This is one if the issues I run into when importing a route into the Ride Command app. I don't know what causes it but the wonky routes can, and should be "fixed" before you load the route onto your bike. Otherwise, the bike will likely pick it up.

#6 ·
@lenbabin
Watching your video now.
Grab point #2 and move it north, along CR31, OR, east along Country Rd 2, away from the CR31/CR2 intersection. That should straighten out the problem. You are forcing a way point to appear along the route near that wonky area.

This is one if the issues I run into when importing a route into the Ride Command app. I don't know what causes it but the wonky routes can, and should be "fixed" before you load the route onto your bike. Otherwise, the bike will likely pick it up.
Thanks, I tried that but it really makes the neighbourhood wonky. Adds a bunch of streets to the mess that's already there.

#4 ·
Also, when you are making waypoints with the RC website, zoom in far enough that you can place your waypoints on the road itself, and not at an address. For example, if I want to take a certain exit out of a traffic circle, I will place the waypoint directly on the road just outside the exit.

Reactions: Wharf Rat
#5 ·
All of this pretty much supports my comments in other threads about importing routes into RC and needing to "verify and clean them up" before pushing them out to your bike.

#8 ·
And the winner is - ITN Converter using its own maps. I just redid the route and no wonkiness. It imported perfectly into Indian maps. Only thing left is to see how the RM likes it. Thanks for all the comments, guys, and I'll let you know how it goes. Download ITN Converter

#12 ·
OK. Understood. For me, the Indian site hasn't worked. I was trying to find something else but Google seems limited.

#13 ·
WELL, I THINK I FIGGERED IT OUT. I am adding Destinations to my list when I should be adding Points. Also, I discovered Google My Maps which seems to be a better tool except it produces .kml files. Looks like I need some more training. Working on it.

#14 ·
Looking for more info. When I create a new route on the Indian map, it shows the other routes that I have saved. When I want to run my new route on the screen, it starts on one of the other routes and traces that out. How can I test the new route I just created?

#15 ·
Before you start making your new route, click the little "down arrow" in the "Show On Map" box at the top of the map. In the drop down box, turn off your Tracked Rides and Routes. After you make your new route, you can then run it without interference.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.