1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
206 Posts
Generally, I’d use Google Maps to plan the route. Copy the URL from GM to a GPX Converter. Take that saved .gpx file and import to Ride Command to download to bike.

With the mapping in RC page, better to add Waypoints than Routing by city. Generally, mapping programs will take you to the center of the city. With the enhanced RC on the bikes, if you‘re close to the waypoint, it will hit it or if you deviate from the route, it’ll ask to complete and take you to the next waypoint.

Hope that helps. If not PM me and we can talk - Tim

Reactions: rcraig45617

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Hi folks. I am trying to use the Indian Mapping tool from the website and it's a *. I made this little video to explain the problem. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Len
@lenbabin
Watching your video now.
Grab point #2 and move it north, along CR31, OR, east along Country Rd 2, away from the CR31/CR2 intersection. That should straighten out the problem. You are forcing a way point to appear along the route near that wonky area.

This is one if the issues I run into when importing a route into the Ride Command app. I don't know what causes it but the wonky routes can, and should be "fixed" before you load the route onto your bike. Otherwise, the bike will likely pick it up.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Also, when you are making waypoints with the RC website, zoom in far enough that you can place your waypoints on the road itself, and not at an address. For example, if I want to take a certain exit out of a traffic circle, I will place the waypoint directly on the road just outside the exit.

Reactions: Wharf Rat

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
All of this pretty much supports my comments in other threads about importing routes into RC and needing to "verify and clean them up" before pushing them out to your bike.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@lenbabin
Watching your video now.
Grab point #2 and move it north, along CR31, OR, east along Country Rd 2, away from the CR31/CR2 intersection. That should straighten out the problem. You are forcing a way point to appear along the route near that wonky area.

This is one if the issues I run into when importing a route into the Ride Command app. I don't know what causes it but the wonky routes can, and should be "fixed" before you load the route onto your bike. Otherwise, the bike will likely pick it up.
Thanks, I tried that but it really makes the neighbourhood wonky. Adds a bunch of streets to the mess that's already there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally, I’d use Google Maps to plan the route. Copy the URL from GM to a GPX Converter. Take that saved .gpx file and import to Ride Command to download to bike.

With the mapping in RC page, better to add Waypoints than Routing by city. Generally, mapping programs will take you to the center of the city. With the enhanced RC on the bikes, if you‘re close to the waypoint, it will hit it or if you deviate from the route, it’ll ask to complete and take you to the next waypoint.

Hope that helps. If not PM me and we can talk - Tim
Thanks Tim. I am trying that and it works much better except that it will only accept 10 way-points. Also, I have software called ITN Converter. It has maps. I'll try that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the winner is - ITN Converter using its own maps. I just redid the route and no wonkiness. It imported perfectly into Indian maps. Only thing left is to see how the RM likes it. Thanks for all the comments, guys, and I'll let you know how it goes. Download ITN Converter

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks Tim. I am trying that and it works much better except that it will only accept 10 way-points. Also, I have software called ITN Converter. It has maps. I'll try that.
I‘ve already planed a route with more than 20 way-points, so never a limit of only 10 way-points

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
334 Posts
Now you are showing Google Map, but in the video you are using the Indian website.

My comment about the way-points was related to the Indian website.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now you are showing Google Map, but in the video you are using the Indian website.

My comment about the way-points was related to the Indian website.
OK. Understood. For me, the Indian site hasn't worked. I was trying to find something else but Google seems limited.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WELL, I THINK I FIGGERED IT OUT. I am adding Destinations to my list when I should be adding Points. Also, I discovered Google My Maps which seems to be a better tool except it produces .kml files. Looks like I need some more training. Working on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking for more info. When I create a new route on the Indian map, it shows the other routes that I have saved. When I want to run my new route on the screen, it starts on one of the other routes and traces that out. How can I test the new route I just created?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Looking for more info. When I create a new route on the Indian map, it shows the other routes that I have saved. When I want to run my new route on the screen, it starts on one of the other routes and traces that out. How can I test the new route I just created?
Before you start making your new route, click the little "down arrow" in the "Show On Map" box at the top of the map. In the drop down box, turn off your Tracked Rides and Routes. After you make your new route, you can then run it without interference.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Before you start making your new route, click the little "down arrow" in the "Show On Map" box at the top of the map. In the drop down box, turn off your Tracked Rides and Routes. After you make your new route, you can then run it without interference.
This is one of the things I wish Indian would fix. Those routes have to be turned off each time you revert to that screen. It gets very cluttered if you develop a library of routes.

I just mapped a ride from Friday, to post here in the forums, using Ride Command. Even with a 27"monitor you cannot get the clutter off the screen to really see what your are doing. It was a simple route with less than 10 waypoints. Yet, every time I saved the route, RC would alter it showing a different path. It took about 30 minutes just to edit the to force it to show our actual route.

I could never recommend Ride Command for real planning. Too much clutter, can't maintain a route between development and saving.
It does offer that cool animation so we can all vicariously experience someone else's ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts