Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Chieftain that has V&H slip ons, an X Pipe Stage 1 A/C and recently added stage 2 cams. I'm using a PVCX with tunes from both DJ & Fuelmoto.

My issue is that every once in a while I go to start the bike and it sounds like the starter is dragging but then the bike fires up only to sound like its flooded. When it starts to run it's kinda "chugging" for lack of a better phrase. Then it either keeps running till the idle comes up OR it will die. I've also had it where the starter doesn't drag but the described start up issue happens again. Any thoughts? Is it possible something got changed or moved during the recent cam install? Is it dumping fuel? Please help?

I have to add that once started the bike seems to run and idle good.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Do you have any idea what it could be??
I thought I had responded already. I had the same issue, I leaned out the table that controls start up afr(I forget the exact name) and corrected the ve table for the idle area. You might try that. Is your tune locked? If so, you'll have to talk to DJ or FM about adjusting your current tune for you. If you record a log that contains the event it would greatly simplify the process.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,571 Posts
I have a 2015 Chieftain that has V&H slip ons, an X Pipe Stage 1 A/C and recently added stage 2 cams. I'm using a PVCX with tunes from both DJ & Fuelmoto.

My issue is that every once in a while I go to start the bike and it sounds like the starter is dragging but then the bike fires up only to sound like its flooded. When it starts to run it's kinda "chugging" for lack of a better phrase. Then it either keeps running till the idle comes up OR it will die. I've also had it where the starter doesn't drag but the described start up issue happens again. Any thoughts? Is it possible something got changed or moved during the recent cam install? Is it dumping fuel? Please help?

I have to add that once started the bike seems to run and idle good.
Send a tune request to FM with the requested files attached. I will get you a new tune out that might help.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Craig. In fact I was just sent one from FM about a week ago that looked like one you developed. It's the latest one I've been using. I was using a DJ tune prior but had a similar issue.

The latest one I received from FM seemed like the midrange was a little flat. So if that could be beefed up a little as well as helping the start up/idle, that would be great!

Fuel Moto may still have my info from the most recent tune they sent. Would I need to send it again?

·
Silver member
4,571 Posts
Thanks Craig. In fact I was just sent one from FM about a week ago that looked like one you developed. It's the latest one I've been using. I was using a DJ tune prior but had a similar issue.

The latest one I received from FM seemed like the midrange was a little flat. So if that could be beefed up a little as well as helping the start up/idle, that would be great!

Fuel Moto may still have my info from the most recent tune they sent. Would I need to send it again?
That most likely was me that sent it. I will look into it and send you a new tune.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I go to start the bike in the morning and it proceeds to kick over then there's a backfire/cough through the throttle body for just a second and then the bike starts. I've had this issue ever since getting the Stage 2 cams installed. I've tried numerous tunes but this issue remains! Any thoughts??

·
Silver member
4,571 Posts
Ok so I go to start the bike in the morning and it proceeds to kick over then there's a backfire/cough through the throttle body for just a second and then the bike starts. I've had this issue ever since getting the Stage 2 cams installed. I've tried numerous tunes but this issue remains! Any thoughts??
Is this the one I just sent you? How long did the bike sit before starting? Do you keep the bike on a battery tender?

The stage 2 is not the best of cams to tune.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tune you sent me runs great. Awesome power through the entire power band. The bike only sat 1 day since riding it. It has a brand new battery too.

One thing also is that no matter what tune I use the bike still has the rich carbon monoxide smell to it. The dealer replaced my front O2 sensor about 8 months ago but the rear one is the original. Don't know if the two are related in some way or not.

·
Silver member
4,571 Posts
The only thing I can think of is what I found on mine when it spit through the intake. I found my rear intake manifold to be cracked and leaking. Once I replaced these adapters the bike ran great with no startup hiccups.

If you take a Log of idle for a minute or two, once you run for a half hour or so, I would be able to tell if idle is adding a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I had a 116 giving us fits and spitting back through intake (was inconsistent and occasional in nature) - turned out to be intake leaks due to loose clamps on both intake port boots. Intake leaks can sometimes fail to show up when you are testing as well... mine remained hidden until we pulled the engine apart.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing I can think of is what I found on mine when it spit through the intake. I found my rear intake manifold to be cracked and leaking. Once I replaced these adapters the bike ran great with no startup hiccups.

If you take a Log of idle for a minute or two, once you run for a half hour or so, I would be able to tell if idle is adding a lot of fuel.
How do I do that Craig?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts