Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange request: but does anyone know how I can add miles to my Indian Scout Sixty speedometer (besides just driving)? I have to get my miles updated for DMV registration, and need to add a few hundred miles. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to add them by simply driving.

Thanks for the help.

·
Rider
1,398 Posts
Unfortunately, I don’t have time to add them by simply driving.
Thanks for the help.
Simplest answer: "Make the time!" I had to rack up the mileage very quickly to get first service out of the way for a long haul trip. Instead of travelling the direct 2.5 miles home from work I took a detour over 50 miles, they soon amount up.

There are companies out there that service and overhaul automotive speedometers and can add mileage but by the time you research this, remove your speedo, send it to them you could just do as I suggested.....Make time and ride it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simplest answer: "Make the time!" I had to rack up the mileage very quickly to get first service out of the way for a long haul trip. Instead of travelling the direct 2.5 miles home from work I took a detour over 50 miles, they soon amount up.

There are companies out there that service and overhaul automotive speedometers and can add mileage but by the time you research this, remove your speedo, send it to them you could just do as I suggested.....Make time and ride it!
Good point about the detours. And thanks for the heads up on the companies. I may look at both options.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I'm not understanding any of this.. why is this a desire?
And don't do the speedo thing. It's dishonest if not illegal.

·
Rider
1,607 Posts
FYI tampering with an odometer in most states is a misdemeanor and in some states a felony. Let your neighbor ride make sure he has a motorcycle endorsement and insurance if you trust him. Where do you live where it requires you to put mileage on a bike to renew your endorsement?

·
Rider
886 Posts
Strange request: but does anyone know how I can add miles to my Indian Scout Sixty speedometer (besides just driving)? I have to get my miles updated for DMV registration, and need to add a few hundred miles. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to add them by simply driving.

Thanks for the help.
I'm not understanding any of this.. why is this a desire?
And don't do the speedo thing. It's dishonest if not illegal.

Never heard of this. I'm wondering why the DMV cares what the mileage is. Please explain.

Its not illegal. Not on motorcycles. Cars -yes.

I did not know there was a company able to do this.
Being a tad colorblind, I needed to replace speedo due to it being unreadable at night.
Original one had 12xx miles. When I bought the new black faced speedo, I asked
the dealer if they can reset the odometer to reflect the actual miles. I actually prefer all the smiles to be on there!! They said there wasn't a way to do this. (Bison Thunder)

I have kept it, and if I ever did sell her, will include the OEM speedo and full disclosure.
But if you ever catch me selling this bike, punch me in the throat, please.

I believe the ECM will store total (actual) miles anyway

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Where do you live where it requires you to put mileage on a bike to renew your endorsement?
That was my question also. The original post reads as they are renewing their registration for the bike, not the endorsement on their license. Still, have not ever registered a vehicle (in the 5 SE states I've lived) where they wanted to know the mileage on said vehicle initially or on the renewals....hmmmm

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Never heard of this. I'm wondering why the DMV cares what the mileage is. Please explain.

Its not illegal. Not on motorcycles. Cars -yes.

I did not know there was a company able to do this.
Being a tad colorblind, I needed to replace speedo due to it being unreadable at night.
Original one had 12xx miles. When I bought the new black faced speedo, I asked
the dealer if they can reset the odometer to reflect the actual miles. I actually prefer all the smiles to be on there!! They said there wasn't a way to do this. (Bison Thunder)

I have kept it, and if I ever did sell her, will include the OEM speedo and full disclosure.
But if you ever catch me selling this bike, punch me in the throat, please.

I believe the ECM will store total (actual) miles anyway
IDK.. Federal statute claims its Illegal on "any motor vehicle".
My states says the exact thing but makes an exception only for vehicles over 16k pounds made before 09.. nothing excepting MCs.
With that language in the federal statute, with no language I could see for the exception of MCs.. I'm going with its not legal.
Any lawyer's out there?

·
Rider
886 Posts
treadmill
IDK.. Federal statute claims its Illegal on "any motor vehicle".
My states says the exact thing but makes an exception only for vehicles over 16k pounds made before 09.. nothing excepting MCs.
With that language in the federal statute, with no language I could see for the exception of MCs.. I'm going with its not legal.
Any lawyer's out there?

Yeah you're right, I'm armchair lawyering here but there is a legal difference between "tampering" and replacement.

·
Rider
1,607 Posts
Only been a full time policeman for 15 years and still counting. Won’t be the first time I’m wrong and definitely not the last time lol. There IS a difference between tampering with the mileage (usually trying to minimize the mileage) on an odometer and replacing a faulty one done by a mechanic and a record kept. States do vary on their laws but pretty sure through out the US any motor vehicle / motorized vehicle regardless of it having 2 or 4 wheels that has to be titled and issued a plate and has an odometer has a law on the books about tampering.

·
Rider
944 Posts
Bison thunder sounds like Minnesota. I lived in MN for 58 years and never ever heard of this. I believe in Minnesota when changing the odometer with different mileage there is a form to fill out with the mileage at the time of replacement and that form has to be given to the new owner so they know the actual mileage. Put the bike on a bike lift put a jiffy stand under it strap it down and Ferris Buellerthe thing. (I believe still tampering) I believe the paperwork will still be required at the time of sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If you thought:
”Damn this sounds crazy. What type of crazy state would require something like this? California?!”

Then you, friend, have won this thread!

For some clarification:
I purchased an out of state used bike with 6,400 miles, but live in California.

California DMV states all vehicles under 7,500 miles are considered new.

In order to register a new vehicle in California it must pass manufacturer based California compliance (have a sticker and be specifically made for California).

Indian manufacturers a batch of motorcycles specifically for these CA compliance’s, but the rest, that go to other states, are not compliant.

So, my out of stare purchase cannot be registered with the DMV until I get the mileage to 7,500. However, the shipping took longer than planned, and used up most of my 30-day registration window. And the flu killed another week.

So now I’m riding illegally, because I can’t legally register the bike. Good to know about the speedo tampering being illegal. That’s one illegal activity I can avoid.

But I took the advice. A friend has put on miles, I’m taking detours, and just went on a 5-hour road trip this weekend. I have about 500 miles to go, and hope I don’t get pulled over in that time.

Definitely appreciate everyone’s thoughts, and I have two lessons to share:
• If you live in California, plan carefully and fully when buying a used bike with under 7,500 miles. Be prepared for things to not go according to plan.
• If you don’t want to be governed by weird laws that don’t actually help you as a citizen, maybe don’t live in California.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One thing that should do the trick for you is have the dealer who replaced the speedometer register/stamp/sign the mileage the bike had when the odometer was replaced. There’s a section in the user manual to register maintenances other than standard services.

That way you have documental proof that the speedometer was replaced and in which total mileage it was done. Also you should staple the new speedometer invoice into the very same page.

With that paper in hand you can take the bike to the DMV and the mileage will be “replacement mileage” plus “new odometer mileage”. Done.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Read Only
416 Posts
California DMV states all vehicles under 7,500 miles are considered new.
That is just asinine...

If you don’t want to be governed by weird laws that don’t actually help you as a citizen, maybe don’t live in California.
Best advise I've heard today...I'll stay in TN...(y)

Thanks for clarifying the story for us, Celsius. Except for the 7,500 mile injustice, your description now makes more sense. Glad you found a solution for adding miles. Riding is always the best option. Plus, even for the weird laws, there is some beautiful scenery to be found in that state while adding those miles

1 - 20 of 29 Posts