Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read here that a 6 digit engine # followed by "RB" meant rebuilt. I have a rebuilt PP100 but the 6 digit number is followed by an "RP", not an RB. Not misreading it. It's plain as the numbers are. Any ideas?

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I got the story correct, it means "Re Placement" engine. Most likely engine was replaced under warranty prior to Gilroy's collapse. Weather 'the issues" were addressed and corrected is another issue. If any doubt, get it "checked out"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i even googled it an didn't find anything. perhaps re-powered . but that is just a guess.
I never thought of repowered, but that could be a possibility. Bike was in Ohio at an Indian dealer. They removed the motor, crated and shipped it to a machine shop in PA for rebuild.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I got the story correct, it means "Re Placement" engine. Most likely engine was replaced under warranty prior to Gilroy's collapse. Weather 'the issues" were addressed and corrected is another issue. If any doubt, get it "checked out"
Tkx..... See my reply to Wildmandmc. Motor was shipped back to Ohio and reinstalled. I'm the 3rd owner, but the 2nd owner I bought it from had all the paperwork on it from all the dealer services and the rebuild papers. Looks like it had a lot of stuff replaced (stator, starter,drive belt, ignition, chain compensator gear, jackshaft, etc. All this plus rebuild was done at 7606
miles. The drive belt and chain compensator were done at about 600 miles. Don't know if that was a bad case of rider abuse, or a factory problem.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I think in the Industry, it usually stands for "Replacement Part". But maybe motorcycles are different.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The thing you'll want to watch out for, or check machine shop invoice to make sure it was addressed is described here:

Indian PowerPlus 100 problems & solutions

There were all kinds of crank shaft / crank case issues on the PP 100.
Some had oil pump issues too if memory serves.
These "issues" are, more than likely, the reason the 1st motor was replaced.
Once those issues were addressed it is a decent motor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing you'll want to watch out for, or check machine shop invoice to make sure it was addressed is described here:

Indian PowerPlus 100 problems & solutions

There were all kinds of crank shaft / crank case issues on the PP 100.
Some had oil pump issues too if memory serves.
These "issues" are, more than likely, the reason the 1st motor was replaced.
Once those issues were addressed it is a decent motor.
After reviewing my rebuild papers, I noticed it was fixed/rebuilt by P&M Power train in PA. Guess that's a good thing, huh?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts