Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rider
2021 RMDH- Black Smoke
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new Springfield has about 230 miles on it it is just shy of two weeks old I noticed once before when i went to start it and let it idle in neutral that it shuts down yesterday this happened several times.
what happens is when I put it in neutral kickstand down turn it on it will show me that it's going from N into 1st ( but it's not physically changing gears into 1st, just show on screen) and then it shuts down !!
If Kickstand is up and I turn the bike on it will do the same thing show that is going to first and then it won't shut down because the kickstand is up but I physically have not put it into first .

Any ideas?? I should note that I added a heel shifter installed by the dealership don't think that would have anything to do with it but just thought I mention it.
I just posted a video on YouTube under the category "2016 Indian Springfield mechanical issues" if you look it up you'll see the video I can't seem to post it here( if someone knows hot to get it posted here I would appreciate if you link it to here.
help and thoughts are greatly appreciated, wondering if it's unsafe to ride her this way, poss shut down while in highway, I was thinking of just takin side streets to my office this am until I hear back from mechanics.

I have a call into the dealership today
Thanks
Earman67

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,217 Posts
So my new Springfield has about 230 miles on it it is just shy of two weeks old I noticed once before when i went to start it and let it idle in neutral that it shuts down yesterday this happened several times.
what happens is when I put it in neutral kickstand down turn it on it will show me that it's going from N into 1st ( but it's not physically changing gears into 1st, just show on screen) and then it shuts down !!
If Kickstand is up and I turn the bike on it will do the same thing show that is going to first and then it won't shut down because the kickstand is up but I physically have not put it into first .

Any ideas?? I should note that I added a heel shifter installed by the dealership don't think that would have anything to do with it but just thought I mention it.
I just posted a video on YouTube under the category "2016 Indian Springfield mechanical issues" if you look it up you'll see the video I can't seem to post it here( if someone knows hot to get it posted here I would appreciate if you link it to here.
help and thoughts are greatly appreciated, wondering if it's unsafe to ride her this way, poss shut down while in highway, I was thinking of just takin side streets to my office this am until I hear back from mechanics.

Thanks
Earman67
Looks like to me you have a flaky gear position sensor. The motor dies with the kickstand down as a safety feature. All the 111s will do this if a gear is selected and the computer sees the kickstand is still down. Time for a trip back to the dealer. Dean

·
Rider
2021 RMDH- Black Smoke
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So was at the dealer this morning it's Definately the gear sensor he has to order it..
on the way over the display showed I was in 1st gear all th way over... Crazy huh ?

Mechanic confirmed it's an electrical issue not a mechanical issue, which I was nervous for... Whew...
They should have the part within a week or two and I'll have it all back to normal .......

Wondering if anyone else out here had a problem like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Haven't had the problem but these high tech computer bikes can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I long for the days of carbureted non flashed tune by ear bikes. That's why I still have my 74. Anyways it's usually something simple. Mechanically these bikes are animals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Riding for over 40 years now. (yikes!) Never have I wished for a gear indicator! I could not imagine getting stranded somewhere because of a kickstand or gear indicator. Must agree. My 78 FXE is simplicity at it's finest. No fuel gauge. No speedo. No tach. No turn signals. No horn. But it does have a 96 cu in S&S shovel engine. Rev Tech 5 speed with kicker. Rivera Pro Clutch. Dual plugged heads. Primo belt drive. GMA brakes. Powder coated frame. I finally built my coast to coast dream shovel.

It does have a Spyke electric start just in case. I have found that the number of kicks to start her is directly proportional to the number of people watching!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Technology is fine. It is when vendors put cheap shitty tech that is the problem. Not just pointing at Polaris as it is done by everyone trying to shave pennies off their bottom line while charging the customer more for the "features".

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 78 FXE is simplicity at it's finest. No fuel gauge. No speedo. No tach. No turn signals. No horn. But it does have a 96 cu in S&S shovel engine. Rev Tech 5 speed with kicker. Rivera Pro Clutch. Dual plugged heads. Primo belt drive. GMA brakes. Powder coated frame.
It does have a Big Dog electric start just in case. I have found that the number of kicks to start her is directly proportional to the number of people watching!
No pictures? I find beauty in all bikes Indian or otherwise!

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts

Thanks
Earman67
Anyone know what the fix was for this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts