Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says I need help deciding on a new bike. A little back ground I currently own two bikes a softail and a dyna, both bikes have less then 15000 . I hate to see them go but finances changed and I can no longer afford both bike payments. Harley davidson won't deal with us because we just got both bikesnlessnthen a year ago. So I have narrowed it down to eitherbget an Indian or Victory. The problem is none ofbthe dealers will let you try one where I live and even the closest dealership is 2 hours away. So I am looking for some honest feedback from others that have switched and whar bikendid you get and why.
Thank you for all information you have given me by reading as much as i can from previous post.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum and glad to see you considering the Indian.

Man, ya got a lot of issues there to deal with.
I don't want to get personal, but you mentioned that both bikes are financed and you have notes and are less than a year into the program.
That's going to be a difficult situation to get out from under. Especially if you are "top heavy" on them.
Rather than get into all of that....

Let me suggest that you do an honest assessment on the style of Indian because that's your question.
You have to decide what style of Indian fits your style of riding.
Right now you have a couple of "naked" bikes....do you want to switch to a touring style or stay with what style you are riding now?

Next thing...The new Scout.
I really like them but I'm reading that they may not be suitable for guys that are 6 foot and above.
It sure has an attractive, entry level price and the performance is wild.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things shake out for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies yes I know I am upside down on the bikes, did not expect my husband to leave so I lost morenthen half my income. I have always enjoyed my softail deluxe but wished for bigger saddle bags on weekend trips and stopping at grocery stores on way home from work for a loaf of bread and milk and having my extra gear in other saddle bag it is a trick. It may not even be possible to trdae but I would rather try then do the alternative and filed bankruptcy. I got myself into this and now trying to be adult about it and fix the problem

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Indian of Charlotte in Lowell, NC does test rides. I don't know how close they are to you, but they might be worth a shot. Their webiste says call Mark at 704-879-4560 to set up demo ride.

There are also Indian demo truck events at other NC dealerships in October and November. You may not be able to wait that long to seat test a bike, but FYI they are coming.

Good luck to you!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Well, this is a heck of a pickle.
I admire your attitude.
I'm afraid that I can't offer much in the way of advice as I have a hard time keeping track of my lunch money.

I've always believed that us bikers stick together....even if is just lending an ear to bend.
Feel free to PM me if you have a mind to.
Sometimes someone just listening helps.

Above all else, keep your head up.
Storms never last.
You'll be out there on that Indian before ya know it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well, this is a heck of a pickle.
I admire your attitude.
I'm afraid that I can't offer much in the way of advice as I have a hard time keeping track of my lunch money.

I've always believed that us bikers stick together....even if is just lending an ear to bend.
Feel free to PM me if you have a mind to.
Sometimes someone just listening helps.

Above all else, keep your head up.
Storms never last.
You'll be out there on that Indian before ya know it.
Nicely done, Big Daddy! I agree! we are here to help. That is a tough situation, but I think BD hit the nail on the head.

If you want to keep the same style bike, the Chief is the way to go. For your money, it is cheaper to get all the accessories that come on the vintage than to add them later. However, I am sorely tempted myself by the Scout. I sat on it yesterday, and it is lighter than my Honda Magna, and has an impressive reach. I don't know if I was on an extended reach equipped one, but it was nice! feet kicked out, and easy maneuverability. Smaller, cheaper, but it keeps you on two wheels, and you may just be able to get out from under the weight that you have.

I hate to say it, but you will usually be better off to sell your bikes yourself, since the dealer is looking to add some margin to what they paid so they make a profit. If you sell it and it is a reasonable deal, someone should be able to understand your situation and help you and themselves at the same time and get a good bike. If the warranty is valid for the next owner, be sure to bring that up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I will leave your finances out of my advice, that is a personal journey. You must ride before you choose. Any advice is other than your own experience is worthless when it comes to how the bike fits you. My wife had the Softail Deluxe and it was a great ride for her. I love the ride of my chieftain and I will always have a bagger. It might not fit you. Adding parts to an Indian is not cheap. In some cases they have almost priced themsleves out of the accessory business unless money is no object. Buy the right bike for you.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have to agree with all those who suggested riding each one first and making your decision from there. The Softail deluxe has a seat height of 24.5" and the only one close to that is the Scout with 25.3". The rest are running in the 26" range. I don't know if you are vertically challenged but you will need to take that into account. Next is the weight. The Classic is weighing in about 80 lbs heavier than your Softail whereas the Scout is about 160 lbs lighter.

Overall, I would say the Scout but it really depends on what form of riding you like to do...which bike you like the best....and which bike fits your body the best.
Always tough to determine what is right for you...even harder for those who only know you through your words online to offer decent suggestions.
Semper Fi,
DrZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts