Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Chieftain. Battery light flashes even though it shows 14.2 on dash meter, power window stopped working, highway lights stopped working, headlight stays on after shutdown until I disconnect battery, high beam doesn’t work at all. Everything else seems to be okay.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
16,561 Posts
power window stopped working
damn — you got a power window? I didn’t see that on my option list...

seriously, tho -- sounds like you’ve got a couple of worn wires that have come in contact. I know this would be a pain but I would start working backwards from the units that are not working and check each wiring bundle. Tedious stuff, I know but sometimes that’s what it takes.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Battery light flashing usually means that the FOB battery is going out. However, that would not cause the rest of your issues. It sounds like you either have chafed wires somewhere, as Hink said, a loose connection at the VCU, or your VCU is going bad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Loose ground somewhere or bad battery. Load test the battery. Good voltage doesn’t mean good current. A shorted cell can create problems.,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brand new battery but could be bad. Reads 14.4 on the dash while underway and cranks with authority.

·
Founding member
2,213 Posts
The 14.4V is the bike reading what the charging system is provided to the battery when the engine is on. The battery could be good or bad with this reading while the bike is running. To read the battery voltage, you need to see what it is with the power switch on but the bike not running. Even that reading won't tell you what voltage is provided by the battery when it is under load (during start) ... battery could still be bad even if you have a reading of ~ 12V.

Others have given good advice - flashing battery light may mean that either the bike battery or the fob battery is low but doesn't explain the other issues. It could be a wiring problem, a loose ground, a bad battery, other.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Broken pin. Im taking it apart to see if it can be fixed. The connectors are not watertight. Getting filled with dielectric grease when I fix it. The stock seat drips rain water right on the ECM

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it apart and re-soldered all the pins. The end cap just pops off which gave me access. Put it back together and its been cleansed of the demons. Runs perfectly.

Pic shows how the end cap comes right off. I couldn’t take pics during the repair. Had all four hands on the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts