Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the all too long W.N.Y. winter I'm going to replace my primary belt, and at Rivera's suggestion, replace the outer primary cover with a "vented style". The person at Rivera said it was recommended to IMC from the start, but because it can be slightly noisier than an enclosed cover, the suggestion (no pun intended) fell on deaf ears.
The suggestion makes sense, I know heat plays hell with primary belts.
My question is does anybody know what year FXST cover is the correct replacement? It brakes down like this:

Chrome vented outer primary cover is for those who are using an 1-3/4" wide primary belt drive.
Fits:
FXST 1995-2006
FXD 1995-2006
FLST 1995-2006

Or
Chrome vented outer primary cover is for those who are using an 1-3/4" wide primary belt drive.

Fits:
FXST 1986-1993
FXD 1991-1993
FLST 1986-1993

Wanted to get the correct one the 1st time.
Thank You,
In Advance,
OGS Light Headlamp Auto part Automotive lighting

·
Registered
254 Posts
My best guess (as I don't know for sure) is the earlier one is the go-to cover. In '93 HD changed the starter jack shaft size, so the earlier ones use a larger bushing in the outer primary cover. The latter ones used the smaller bushing.

- Michael

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael,
That I didn't know. Have luxury of time so I'll tear it down and mic starter jack shaft nose, and work backwards!
That info will save some grief. The mail order parts houses are not real good about returns / exchanges

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another bit of difference is the starter's jackshaft bolt - ours are 1/4"-20 while the smaller/newer ones use a 10-32.

- M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts