Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you experienced this problem? I went to put in a new filter element, and the 3 bolts that hold it into the air box just keep turning, but not coming out.
This is a stock 2015 Chieftain. I am the original owner.No one has touched the bike except the factory and the dealership doing the 5k and 10k service. Do those bolts go into a threaded insert that could be turning with the bolt? I can't see any way to access the back of the box. At this point I am considering drilling out the bolts (no fun!). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never seem that before but if you have the new filter where there's a will there's a way, I'd carefully dismantle air filter with snips to open it up and get to the root of the problem.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never seem that before but if you have the new filter where there's a will there's a way, I'd carefully dismantle air filter with snips to open it up and get to the root of the problem.

That's a thought for sure.
Thanks.

·
Founding member
1,506 Posts
I have a friend who isn't very mechanically minded and he thought he had the same problem. Found out he was using a socket that was one size too big. It snugged up on the bolt but then just twisted around, but it felt like it was turning them. Not saying that's your problem but it was what his issue was.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
What comes mind for me is that the bolts were stripped when they were tightened up last time, and now they turn in place in either direction. If you put the socket into a hand drill you might be able to run it backwards as you pull the filter away from the bike to force it off.

If you need to cut the filter off, you could probably use a hole saw to cut around the bolts, that might be easier than cutting the filter away with snips.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a friend who isn't very mechanically minded and he thought he had the same problem. Found out he was using a socket that was one size too big. It snugged up on the bolt but then just twisted around, but it felt like it was turning them. Not saying that's your problem but it was what his issue was.
I promise I'm not offended and appreciate all replies. I am not guilty in this particular instance. 😀
Even if you destroy the whole thing, there are many stock take offs for sale here or on evay for short money.
Yeah, I figured that was an option. My friend who gave 2 filter elements when he upgraded his bikes threw his stock units away! Ugh!Thanks for responding.

·
Rider
1,607 Posts
I take no responsibility for this but you can try taking a thin wide bladed flat head screwdriver and place it underneath the flat washer and against the filter. When you take a socket wrench and try to unscrew it put pressure against the screw driver gently as though you are prying it out while pushing the screwdriver towards the center of the bolt. This will help the threads bite onto the screwdriver blade and give you some pressure for the threads to come in contact with what may be left in the female threads. You’re not trying to pry out the bolt just give it some pressure to make the threads seat and helping it out. When the filter is off then you can look at the threads on the bolt and try to screw / unscrew each bolt in about half way without the filter on to see what the problem is. Tap and Dye sets are around 40 bucks at harbor freight. The bolts are probably metric and you can either buy new ones from Indian or take a trip to Ace and by the same kind. Make sure it’s the same size and thread pitch as the one you removed if they are buggered up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take no responsibility for this but you can try taking a thin wide bladed flat head screwdriver and place it underneath the flat washer and against the filter. When you take a socket wrench and try to unscrew it put pressure against the screw driver gently as though you are prying it out while pushing the screwdriver towards the center of the bolt. This will help the threads bite onto the screwdriver blade and give you some pressure for the threads to come in contact with what may be left in the female threads. You’re not trying to pry out the bolt just give it some pressure to make the threads seat and helping it out. When the filter is off then you can look at the threads on the bolt and try to screw / unscrew each bolt in about half way without the filter on to see what the problem is. Tap and Dye sets are around 40 bucks at harbor freight. The bolts are probably metric and you can either buy new ones from Indian or take a trip to Ace and by the same kind. Make sure it’s the same size and thread pitch as the one you removed if they are buggered up.
I tried that but no luck. Just now finished cutting around the bolts with a dremel tool, removed the filter and the backing plate (airbox). As suspected the threaded inserts are turning in their sockets. Probably severely over-tightened on install.
Now I'm in searched of a used airbox from somebody who upgraded and kept their old one.
Thanks to all for the replies. Off to E Bay I go!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
. As suspected the threaded inserts are turning in their sockets. Probably severely over-tightened on install.
Now I'm in searched of a used airbox from somebody who upgraded and kept their old one.
Thanks to all for the replies. Off to E Bay I go!
It looks like that's a plastic body so I suppose the inserts are metal. Have you thought of locking the inserts in place by screwing a small screw between the insert and the surrounding plastic? There must be some way to bind them so they don't turn.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I've had my air cleaner off a number of times to blow the dust out of it.I think the socket needed was a 6 or 4 MM six point socket so ya don't round the heads on the screws.But if the screws just spin in their holes that means those holes are stripped and will have to be recut or retapped to clean up the threads.And when ya put em back in,SPAREINGLY apply alittle never seize on the threads and do NOT over tighten em.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It looks like that's a plastic body so I suppose the inserts are metal. Have you thought of locking the inserts in place by screwing a small screw between the insert and the surrounding plastic? There must be some way to bind them so they don't turn.
When in doubt J B WELD IT OUT, just a dab in between the insert and plastic is like magic, I've seen mechanics in a pinch weld brake line leaks in automobiles with this stuff, I call it last resort glue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts