Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a successful oil change, I decided to try adjusting the rear suspensions to spec. Thought I'd be smart and make an 11.1" cardboard template, with some cutouts to get over the spring.

My lines are 11.1" apart, checked many times. The arrow touches the bottom edge of the bolt. So, I need to compress the spring, right?

With wife sitting on the bike, I turn it 1... 2... 3.. whole turns and then lose count. Then it won't turn anymore. I hit the bottom. And it's still not centered yet.

See the picture. The red line on the right bolt is perfectly centered despite the camera angle. The left one only hits the edge of the nut.

I must be missing something obvious here. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
You said it, not me ;) but yes, you went the wrong direction. Your spring needs to be softer so you can actually compress it to the 282 mm or 11.1". So go back up with these nuts until that upper red line moves into the center of that bolt and you'll be all set.:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This actually is the pic of the one I didn't bottom out. It's close to where the dealer put it.

It looked like it was going in the correct direction and then stopped. That's the part I can't figure out.

So CW or CCW?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I got it...

When it's unsprung, you make it longer? Then when you sit on it, it will wind up shorter?

If so, it makes sense, because I was adjusting it with myself off the bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes, the longer the spring is in the beginning (or less pre-load) - both nuts CCW, they go in your picture to the left and make less thread visible, that makes the spring "softer" and the centerlines of the bolts come closer together until you reach the 11.1"

Reactions: saxmaniac
1 - 7 of 7 Posts