Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm new to the forum but have been researching the threads for a while and as such have gleaned a lot of valuable information to consider purchasing my very first Indian.

I have contacted my local dealership for a quote and they sent me the following for a new 2020 Scout Sixty ABS Thunder Black:
$9799 MSRP
$897.63 Freight
$788 Set-Up
$599.95 Documentation
$29.25 License
$1012.18 Tax
Total $13,125.91

My question is, the freight, set-up and doc fees seem to be excessive. What was your experience when you bought yours. Were you able to negotiate any of these, if you did, by how much and what did they offer?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated and I look forward to joining the tribe.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
229 Posts
I would check around to other dealers. See who has what you want in stock and ask for an out the door price in writing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't be afraid to tell the dealers you're shopping around, either. A lot of dealers pad set up and freight costs. It's just something you need to do to manage different customer buying journeys, inventory and other risks. They'll be happy to work on the price in order to make a sale. Of they're not, dump them. The key, of course, is not too get worked up about one bike in particular.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can always ship across country for very likely less of what Indian is officially charging as “freight” and apparently there are dealers who will ship anywhere (lower 48) for free! So get an “out the door” price and if you really know what you want, maybe one of the dealers who ship for free have it. You might spend a couple hours online research here, but these hours will be for sure paid very well. Good luck!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Interesting - the Indian Dealership (that was) on Boulder Highway quoted me $750 freight to ship a larger bike to Georgia not that long ago. Apparently that dealership is permanently closed now? My understanding is that setup fee is typically a standard charge by the dealership, but it should be in line with hourly service fees. I agree the doc fee looks a little high - I paid a 400 doc fee for 2 new scouts (in 2016) but that may have been because they were making bank on me for accessories.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think you'll avoid freight. But a setup fee shouldn't be necessary, and the doc fee is awfully high.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doc, setup and freight fees are way out of line. Negotiable. Docs are just the cost of doing business for the dealership. There is at least an argument for setup and freight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to the dealership tomorrow and discussing with the GM. I will let you all know how the negotiations go. Thank you all for your input. This is a great forum and very informative. Hopefully I can pay it forward with how I negotiate the deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MSRP plus as many fees they can stack on top, sounds like they are selling bikes.. I think timing is key. I got a good deal on my Chieftain at one dealer. Tried to buy a scout 60 from them and build a relationship, Asked them to match the price another was advertising online. At first they said they could and I drove over, then they wasted about 3 hours and came in $500 higher. I went to the other dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is an update guys. I went to the dealership to take a look at the bike and ended up buying it. The dealership was amazing to work with. I took suggestions from the responses earlier and armed myself with 2 quotes which had lower additional fees due to the fact that they were in different states but they were all willing to ship the bike for free. Using this information I leveraged my meeting with the GM of the dealership.

Additionally before going to the dealership I got myself pre-approved with the dealership so as to establish my serious intent and show them I was a customer who is ready to make a deal.

The dealer not only matched the quotes I had, they gave me10% discount on parts and 21% discount on labor on $2000 worth of upgrades.

I received a total of $2100 in discounts over the total costs.

It was a great deal. I can't wait for all the upgrades to be done and take delivery in few weeks.

Thank you all for your help. I will post pictures once I have the bike in my possession.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well done. A bit of homework saved you thousands of dollars.

I don’t even go to the dealer anymore. Test drive at dealer. Get quotes and negotiate with multiple dealers over email. Close in person.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
229 Posts
Here is an update guys. I went to the dealership to take a look at the bike and ended up buying it. The dealership was amazing to work with. I took suggestions from the responses earlier and armed myself with 2 quotes which had lower additional fees due to the fact that they were in different states but they were all willing to ship the bike for free. Using this information I leveraged my meeting with the GM of the dealership.

Additionally before going to the dealership I got myself pre-approved with the dealership so as to establish my serious intent and show them I was a customer who is ready to make a deal.

The dealer not only matched the quotes I had, they gave me10% discount on parts and 21% discount on labor on $2000 worth of upgrades.

I received a total of $2100 in discounts over the total costs.

It was a great deal. I can't wait for all the upgrades to be done and take delivery in few weeks.

Thank you all for your help. I will post pictures once I have the bike in my possession.
Sounds like a win win! Congrats!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm new to the forum but have been researching the threads for a while and as such have gleaned a lot of valuable information to consider purchasing my very first Indian.

I have contacted my local dealership for a quote and they sent me the following for a new 2020 Scout Sixty ABS Thunder Black:
$9799 MSRP
$897.63 Freight
$788 Set-Up
$599.95 Documentation
$29.25 License
$1012.18 Tax
Total $13,125.91

My question is, the freight, set-up and doc fees seem to be excessive. What was your experience when you bought yours. Were you able to negotiate any of these, if you did, by how much and what did they offer?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated and I look forward to joining the tribe.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Well done on the deal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts