Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Indian Scout but now I'm looking for helmet deals for the Christmas season. I like the look of the open face but it doesn't seem as practical as the full face protection with the additional hidden visor. Thing is it takes away from the traditional appeal to me of the bike but I could be wrong.

What are your thoughts ? I don't want to look like a Suzuki rider on a cruiser/sport bike.

Size 2xl

·
Registered
53 Posts
Helmet brands have different aerodynamic designs for different riding styles. For touring, usually upright or 3/4 position aerodynamics are recommended by most manufacturers rather than racing helmets. Head shape also makes a difference such as medium-oval, round, etc. as well as head size. Revzilla gives good video reviews of many helmet brands as well as sizing tips. They are worth viewing before deciding on a helmet. They also have an excellent return policy if you decide the helmet is not for you.You can search for features such as safety ratings (Snell 2010, DOT, EU, etc.). Some of the touring helmets have top safety ratings and hidden visors. Some also have modifiable inserts for communications electronics. Shuberth, Shark, Schoe, Arai all have some nice new model introduction touring helmets with top safety ratings and visors.

Hope the above is helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Currently have a 3/4 Arai that is ok, but I bought it used and want something new and really prefer a full face so I used part of my $500 veterans allowance and ordered the Indian full face.

Reactions: the doctor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Currently have a 3/4 Arai that is ok, but I bought it used and want something new and really prefer a full face so I used part of my $500 veterans allowance and ordered the Indian full face.
I avoid buying used helmets as helmets are generally designed to absorb one solid impact. If the helmet has been dropped on a hard surface or impacted in an spill, the safety rating may no longer be a valid indicator of protection for that helmet.

Another feature to look for shields with Pinlock design, as anti-fogging on Pinlock lens does not depend on anti-fog coatings that can wear off over time. They use patented airflow between layers of the lens to keep the shield fog free.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very helpful, thank you. I tried on the Indian full face xxl and its snug but the dealer said it will adjust .

I will look into the 3/4 helmets at Revzilla. I like the old fashion goggle type but I like my chin more :)

Much appreciated .

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Very helpful, thank you. I tried on the Indian full face xxl and its snug but the dealer said it will adjust .

I will look into the 3/4 helmets at Revzilla. I like the old fashion goggle type but I like my chin more :)

Much appreciated .
You're welcome.
Big head, eh LOL just kidding. I tried on the large and it was too tight, they didn't have an xl so they had to order it. Hopefully that will fit. If not I will look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The helmet would look badazz on one of those Scouts. I love long rides to far off places. I have been caught in many bad weather situations & I ride threw it. My full face is my best friend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good point. Looked at some more videos and the chin does not serve as a face protector at all...oh boy..:rolleyes:

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Think I found what I was looking for :

Bell Rogue Helmet

WARNING- I had to go to a Harley magazine to find this little gem that I'm fixin to lay on ya.

I figure if you like the ROGUE then you will love this one:

Solid State Covers - Diamond Maul

Now, I don't have any teeth but my smile is prettier than this.

·
Registered
610 Posts
WARNING- I had to go to a Harley magazine to find this little gem that I'm fixin to lay on ya.

I figure if you like the ROGUE then you will love this one:

Solid State Covers - Diamond Maul

Now, I don't have any teeth but my smile is prettier than this.
I think if I felt I had to wear something like that, I'd take my truck. (-:

Reactions: the doctor

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I looked at the new helmets available for the Slingshot.... reminds me a lot of the Old Simpson brands.

Also I kind of like this one... I wonder if it is available in Indian Red?
skull helmet.jpg
I guess I could paint it????

Anyone want some really unusual helmets, check this out
Cool Motorcycle Helmets - Bing Images

1 - 20 of 49 Posts