Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been over 15 years since my last bike. Just ordered a Scout and am wondering opinions on helmets. I'm a full face helmet type of guy. Opinions? Pics? Options?

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
I recently went through the process of shopping for a new helmet after a similar time away from riding. First thing I would observe is that the technology has changed a bunch, so take some time to research the new construction techniques and,materials being used. When,you have a handle on that, then you will discover that many of the better companies (Bell, Shoei, Arai, for example) offer different shapes depending on how your noggin is made - round, oval, etc. I probably picked through 3 dozen models before I finally found one that fit comfortably. I ended up with an Arai, quite a bit more money than I had intended to spend, but it was the one that fit properly. I justified the cost to myself under the rationale that this was protection for the most important part of my anatomy, so skimping here didn't really make much sense. I was lucky and caught mine on sale at a dealership, but the internet might save you some bucks if you can figure out exactly what model and size is going to work for you.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,755 Posts
Isn't that the truth, John?!
It had been about 20 years since I was in the market for a helmet when I started looking last year.
I ended up with a HJC convertible for cool weather and a HKC open face for warm weather.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
My entire life has been spent in the protest of helmet laws.
In Texas I could ride without a helmet and I did.

The helmets that I did manage to acquire over the years were flea market and yard sale specials. Purchased for a trip to mandatory helmet land or maybe to stay warm on a winter ride with a full face helmet.

These ill fitting, uncomfortable, crummy helmets only served to reinforce my hate for them.

Fast forward to about 10 years ago and a move east of the Sabine River...Louisiana requires helmets.
I'm a little smarter now and I have a little more disposable income.
I looked around at the Harley riders and their silly little piss pot helmets...Slaves to fashion.
If I have to wear a helmet....then I'm going to wear a good one.

Maybe when you get to an advanced stage of your life you realize that no one is looking at you anyway.
I hear guys bemoaning the dreaded "Mushroom Head" look of modern helmets.
This condition exists as a result of spending too much time in front of a mirror.
I mean, you ain't gonna wear that helmet into the restaurant are ya?

I was shocked when I began to research the "good" full face helmets....over $500 for a helmet?
Are you kidding me?
Ya know, I can remember thinking the same thing the very first time I slid my foot down into a Lucchese handmade cowboy boot. Now I wear nothing else.

In the blazing heat of our tropical Summers it rains every afternoon. I know that wearing a full face helmet in the rain is really the only way to roll.....but in this heat? I'm here to tell you that the ventilation systems in quality full face helmets yields a cooler ride than even going bareheaded. I know, you will not believe this until you experience it yourself. I never would have believed it myself, but it is true.

I also never thought that I would hear myself say that a quality full face helmet has shifted my outlook from a helmet being a burden to a helmet being a joy...true too.

To the original poster, you said that you are a "full face helmet guy", so you probably already know all of this.
I am going to stop short of making a recommendation because like JohnW said in his post, it's all about the fit.
Here is a short video that addresses proper fit and head shapes.

All good stuff.
But after you view that video, you have to ask yourself how you could EVER mail order a helmet....right?
You have to try on several helmets to get this right.
Most guys just "settle" with the fit they get when they order on-line.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Big Daddy, you just wrote one of the better helmet reviews that I have ever read. Those that think wearing the Bennie type helmet is cool or fashionable are so sadly mistaken...........To say nothing of looking so stupid. I first started using a Simpson Full Face in the early 70's and now a Schuberth C 3.

The old saying of "If you have a $10.00 head, wear a $10.00 helmet" is truer than the misinformed think.

·
Founding member
951 Posts
Took a motorcycle safety course taught by retired motorcycle cop. He said helmets are only good for 2-3 years. And if you drop it even once it's junk. Find snell approved better then dot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since I am a full face guy like the poster I suggest you go modular.... Very convenient. I have a Bell Revolver EVO and I like it. Flip up chin and flip down tinted lens.

·
Registered
274 Posts
its been over 15 years since my last bike. Just ordered a Scout and am wondering opinions on helmets. I'm a full face helmet type of guy. Opinions? Pics? Options?

Thanks
Revzilla.com has some of the best deals on the interweb. They ship for free, both ways, and no restock fee. Their customer service techs are wonderful to work with. Check out their YouTube page on fitting a helmet. It may be worth your time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
A couple of years ago I traded a heavy, full face Shoei for a carbon fibre Razor Monaco modular. My neck pain disappeared soon afterwards and with the modular I could raise the thing when wanted or needed. The Razor has a transitions lens that is really great. I had to order mine from Germany. Now Revzilla sells them (in Black or White) for about the same as I paid but without the international shipping costs. And as Pegg696 says they will pay shipping both ways for free, so if the fit isn't right the first time you can return it. I have order things from them and if there was a question about fit I ordered both sizes and returned the one I didn't want for a full refund. Hard to beat that...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I climbed into a Nolan N44 which I bought new on eBay for $320... It was shipped from Italy. I took care with measuring my head and comparing with the various statistics, and also went into a local shop to try on a few different Nolan helmets to get a better feel for fit. The N44 can be worn open face or full face, and has an excellent air management system and internal drop-down sun visor. It's super comfortable too. It's a tad wind-noisey, but that's it's only negative, if you call it that...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big daddy's right on in his review. I'd love to just have a flat black one with the indian logo on. I so agree with the full face argument. I bought the cheapest helmet I could find that met the requirements for my auto crossing with my Triumph TR8 and was good enough looking to be seen riding. I was worried about fit. It was cheap because it was XXXL. Never came close to fitting.

·
Rider
443 Posts
Check out the Skull Crush web site. I bought the 3/4 DOT approved and it has been the best helmet I have ever worn. I bought the black with gold metal flake. $250.00.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wear a white Shoei Neotec. I find white increases the visibility factor and reduces the heat. The Neotec fits me better than anything else in the class and the air management is excellent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would agree with Pegg696 to check out revzilla.com. They have great videos of most of the top helmets and great service / delivery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would agree with Pegg696 to check out revzilla.com. They have great videos of most of the top helmets and great service / delivery.
I bought my Neotec at the Helmet Shop in Daytona. Got it for $550 with an extra $25 off from an email coupon. The best price I could find at the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking at Arai Defiant. They are designed specifically for upright riding on a naked bike. This helmet is supposed to be really good at buffeting wind and is Snell/DOT.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Who else has the "Euro style" chin strap? To explain, I am referring to the ratcheting strap like you find on roller skates.
I am constantly making small trips and it would be great to be able to take it on and off quickly. I know Nolan has them, and the Indian full-face has it, but I am wanting to keep my options open.

However, I am impressed with the feel and fit of the Indian full-face. The shield replacement is only $20. That is awesome compared to my Shoei RF1100 which costs ~$100 to replace. Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts