Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

just wondering whether Indian have incorporated a smart helmet locking system to secure 2 helmets to the bike ?

I know you can fit them in trunk (not sure if 2 full faced helmets would fit ?) but I am talking about 2up with full gear so no space to fit in trunk. And before you tell me that you can buy 3rd party locking gear I would expect for a premium bike that cost $39000 (Aus prices) to have that incorporated in a smart and easy to use way.

So to all you Roadmaster owners, does it have a factory fitted helmet locking system and how does it work ?

Thanks
Joe

Reactions: HeavyCavalrySgt

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, from your comment I gather that Indian have not included any kind of helmet locking on this prestige bike let alone a sophisticated one. :(

If you have a SOPHISTICATED system, please share with pics. I am using for example a KEWLocks on my ISO grip handle bars. I have even disposed of the "T" piece and simply use a large enough ring connected to the D buckle to secure the helmet. Of course its not fool proof and as most systems only works to deter the opportunist and not he Pro's. Good enough for that and easy to use.

Trouble is I don't know if I can fit Iso grips on the RM without stuffing up the heating system it has in the Indian grips. So I might not be able to use the above method on the RM.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
If you have a SOPHISTICATED system, please share with pics. I am using for example a KEWLocks on my ISO grip handle bars. .
What about that lock makes it "sophisticated"?
It's a handlebar lock...

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see very little difference between a handlebar lock and one mounted to a crash bar.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its the best solution I have come across because:
  • no other cable etc that I need to get out an fit somewhere
  • helmet is away from the tins so no danger of scratching it (I spent $2500 on custom paint so I guess I am anal about that)
  • integrates into the grip nicely and almost enhances the look
  • lock helmet in 2 sec flat and unlock almost as fast
I haven't actually seen the crash bar mounted one but at the time I fitted my kewlocks I didn't have crash bars, got some now.

Ideally I would have like Indian to fit 2 hooks on either side somehow elegantly on the bike (so it's almost invisible when not needed) or some retractable steel cable with hooks that can be unlocked via the fob. no key, locks etc needed and locked/unlocked in seconds...that's what I mean by sophisticated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
45 years of riding coast to coast plus Canada and Mexico and never have I done anything but hang the helmet on the handlebars and walk away, haven't lost one yet! ;)

Reactions: pyro

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
45 years of riding coast to coast plus Canada and Mexico and never have I done anything but hang the helmet on the handlebars and walk away, haven't lost one yet! ;)
Key word here is YET. ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to tell you the truth, the thought of leaving a couple of $100 bucks on my bike seat so someone can just pick up and walk away with it is not something I am comfortable with. The best I can do is leave it for a "short" while or if I am within line of sight. So I am probably going to fit something.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
I've never lost one, and haven't even HEARD of anyone losing theirs. I guess helmets just aren't a thing that people usually steal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why are people responding to a post where someone wants to know what others are doing to lock their helmets on the Roadmaster when they do not lock their helmets. You have to ask yourself if responding helps the original question or you feel the need to talk down to someone with a different opinion than you. My brother was always asking me why I lock the doors on my truck, why does he care, why do you? Please skip the threads that you have nothing relevant to add. I personally would not want to leave my $600 helmet with $300 bluetooth headset there for the picking. Maybe others don't live in the same crime-free area as you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
fammdw:

So Predictable

Responded above, also looking for relevant information. I think stopping the stupid replies is relevant. In the interest of staying on topic I'll leave it at that...

·
Registered
14 Posts
G'day,

just wondering whether Indian have incorporated a smart helmet locking system to secure 2 helmets to the bike ?

I know you can fit them in trunk (not sure if 2 full faced helmets would fit ?) but I am talking about 2up with full gear so no space to fit in trunk. And before you tell me that you can buy 3rd party locking gear I would expect for a premium bike that cost $39000 (Aus prices) to have that incorporated in a smart and easy to use way.

So to all you Roadmaster owners, does it have a factory fitted helmet locking system and how does it work ?

Thanks
Joe

I always used a small coated cable with loops on both ends and locked the helmets to the engine guard.

·
Rider
548 Posts
Our helmets get locked in trunk or carried if it's full.....what Indian could do more, I haven't got a clue....last thing I want on my RM is some gimmicky helmet lock system that's probably going to detract from the looks of the bike. Some good ideas from others about using a coated cable lock, running it through the face of the helmets, and through the highway bars. If you absolutely have to leave your helmet on the outside of the bike when you walk away, that seems like the best option. Don't what kind of sophisticated alternative would work any better.....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a 26 year old Gold Wing and it had 2 hooks built in the trunk underneath on each side that you couldn't see at all. You unlocked it from inside the trunk and hung your 2 helmets under the trunk, locked ! Like I said when not in use it wasn't even visible. Now that's the kind of thing I am talking about that Honda had 26 years ago. I would have thought that they could have come up with something similar or letter after 26 years. Anyway, it is what it is and probably a coated cable/chain is the best we can do since it doesn't have anything to lock helmets.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think it was on another thread in this forum that gave me the idea to use a gun lock. Being in CA, I have to buy a brand new one every time that I buy a handgun so I have plenty lying around. I usually just hang my helmet from my handlebars but in certain circumstances I use the handy gun lock looped through my helmet and rear highway bars. The passenger floorboard acts as the platform.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts