Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Rider
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m Dave from the Minneapolis area. I scored a 16 Chief DH w 950 miles that had been stupidly repainted in the most horrible way. So bad I’m telling my buddies I’m “restoring” a 2016!!
Got it at a great price tho and the bones are solid so I have some bank left over for tins and original paint parts.
Already learned a lot on this forum and looking forward to learning so much more.
Thanks in advance.

·
Bronze member
3,045 Posts
welcome to the tribe... post a pick so we can all see how horrid it was...

Reactions: pope

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
Welcome. We are here to help. And in your case you absolutely need to post a photo of an ugly Chief. And then later what looks like "restored".

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
Not as bad as I expected but it does look like he bought his masking tape at a Dollar Store that was going out of business. I actually like the fender design but the tank doesn't work at all. Cool project.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
730 Posts
i half expected basically a rattle can matte camo or something. what color are you planning to do?

·
Silver member
4,353 Posts
Oh my; you weren't kidding, that is horrible...[yuck]
You mentioned you have some bank left over for tins and original paint parts. It might be cheaper to have it repainted than replacing with original painted OEM parts.
Good luck; hope you enjoy you're project. Please post some before and after pictures when your done.

·
Rider
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my; you weren't kidding, that is horrible...[yuck]
You mentioned you have some bank left over for tins and original paint parts. It might be cheaper to have it repainted than replacing with original painted OEM parts.
Good luck; hope you enjoy you're project. Please post some before and after pictures when your done.
Just going back to DH paint. Picked up rear fender and gas tank on eBay for a song. They are already in DH trim and paint. Looking for a stock valance DH front fender now. Probably will buy the OEM headlight nacel as the paint ruined the texture of the original.

·
Rider
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what's the switches in the right saddle bag for?
Good eye!!! Lol. Those were for the driving lights. Wires running all that way and a separate switch for each light. Dont ask me why -I can’t figure out why he did any of this. . Needless to say I’ll rewire to the proper switch location

·
Bronze member
1,031 Posts
Hello Dave

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the repaint job.

Just a suggestion, there is an Indian dealership that shows some of its custom paintwork here on the forum every now and then. I can't recall its name but I think that it's the oldest Indian dealership. They have some great paintwork and you might get some ideas from them unless you are going to restore it to one of the factory default paintwork.

Good luck and keep us informed with some photos.

Cheers Kym
Sydney - Australia

·
Rider
853 Posts
Hello Dave
Welcome from New Jersey.
Man that paint job is sure something.
You are right. Butchers!
I wonder why people do these things to their vehicles?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts