Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
That's quite the personal question...

Oh. You mean these... nevermind....

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I give them a drop of oil every few weeks (it’s part of my regular go-over-the-bike: lube the levers, chain, check the pads, no loose bolts, etc)

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
I dont lube them either.
If you have trouble shifting properly you could disconnect the rod and see if they articule freely otherwise no service to them

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Ok normally they dont get lubed for the majority of people, But you could use a needle on the grease gun and get lube in there.
I had binding issues on the CanAm steering and lubed them.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I generally hit those joints periodically with alittle Power Lube.Why?? Cause I have run into these joints "frozen solid" with rust.Why were they full of rust?? Cause no one took the time or bothered to lube em,or atleast coat em with alittle oil, which takes all of three or four seconds to do.It's little things like this that make the difference between a well running machine and a night mare!!

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
I lube mine every three months or so. I like the way they are designed on the Indian, but they are underneath the bike and catch some road grime. So I clean up and use some dry slide or similar on the outer pivot. Like Davetac said, they can get a little crusty and stiff without occasional maintenance...

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
I put dust boots over the shift linkage Heim joints on our Indians. This will not prevent regular preventive maintenance, However, it keeps the grime off of them and reduces the frequency of cleaning\lubrication.

I wrote a thread about it last year. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it. Cheap way to avoid heim joint issues

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha yeah I read that thread, amongst many others trying to find out why my gear shifer wasn't returning. I hit the joints with some PB Blaster all purpose synthetic lube and problem solved.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I put all-purpose synthetic grease on those when I bought my Scout, while adjusting the shift lever.
They are looking grimy now, yet still move freely.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Every oil change.. a spritz of brake cleaner fluid then a spritz of oil...work the joint and another drop or 2...Done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts