Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 chieftain.

In addition to the reach seat, I was given three options to lower it in hopes of flat footing it.

1. Adjustable shock
2. Lowering link
3. Air ride

Option 3 not in the budget

I went with option 1 the Arlen Ness adjustable shock preload to the shortest and 0 PSI. I believe this make it as low to the ground as possible. But still not short enough.

What I want to know is can aption 1 and 2 be combined? If I add the the link now - will the seat height get any closer to the ground? I don't really understand how the lowering link works.

I really would like to be able to back my own bike out of the garage without fear of the dip between the driveway & road.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Lowering bikes is dangerous. Costs you ground clearance and the bike can not function as designed. I'm sorry, sounds like a Chieftain is just too big for you. Modifications to the dip at the end of your driveway maybe?

EDIT: When I said the bike sounds too big for you I essentially meant that it is too big if you feel you have to flat foot. Flat footing is a nice luxury and most modern bikes are now built with seat heights that accoomodsre average height riders for flat footing, however there ain't no rule that says you have to be able to flat foot ride a bike. I mean I am 5' 10" and rode my buddies 1979 bonneville recently and I couldn't flat foot that bike. I didn't particularly like the feeling because I am not used to riding bikes like that anymore but it certainly didn't make it unridable.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
I am looking into it- just haven't found a local person with good references at this point.
Just google a shop near you. Between lowering links (set for sale on here) and seat shaving should get you there. Based on what your saying, you at least need to get some leg leverage on the ball of your feet at minimum. I just wouldn't go any lower than 3" on the links and keep your eyes out for a air shock that's affordable. Maybe you can adjust your rear shock a little more too. Btw, I use my thickest sole boots so I can flat foot as much as possible and keep riding that monster for more confidence. Btw, the bike aint too big for you. happy 4th
Pat

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2016 Dark Horse. I am 5'3". Here is what I did.
-- Bought the reduced reach seat. I helped get me closer to the pedals, lowered me a little.
-- Replaced the links with the Vic Bagger lowering links. I could move the nuts on the shock so low that I could be flat foot. Unfortunately, I scraped my crossover pipe on left turns and the muffler on right turns. I adjusted it up to a happy medium. In order to ride 2-up, I had to move the nuts on the shock so I would not scrape again.
-- Replaced the shock with an air shock from a Roadmaster. Now I can easily adjust the height for 2-up. I found that if I took all of the air out of the shock, I was almost flat footed, but the rear was a little squirrely. I now keep 5-10 lbs when solo and 75 when 2-up.
I am pretty happy with this setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts