Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2014 Chief Classic. I would love to put a heal shifter on it. Any recommendations on heal shifters? Anything else you would upgrade on bike? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Indian has one, as well, and that's what I have. Don't know why they are not standard on a bike like that.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Interestingly enough, certain HD models used to come standard with a heel shifter. But at this year's Daytona Bike Week, I noticed the ones I demo'd didn't - not even the Ultra. Makes no sense. I am wondering if it is more of a perceived liability issue? Maybe there have been some lawsuits where the rider caught his foot in it and fell over. Just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 16 Springfield I just bought had an I dian heel shifter... first thing I took off. I hated it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 16 Springfield I just bought had an I dian heel shifter... first thing I took off. I hated it.
Since you hate it, you want to send it my way? Lol. My old Kawasaki had a heel shifter and I just got used to it. So it feels weird without

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interestingly enough, certain HD models used to come standard with a heel shifter. But at this year's Daytona Bike Week, I noticed the ones I demo'd didn't - not even the Ultra. Makes no sense. I am wondering if it is more of a perceived liability issue? Maybe there have been some lawsuits where the rider caught his foot in it and fell over. Just speculation on my part.
It’s possible. Weird that they just decided not to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
It’s possible. Weird that they just decided not to do it.
It is also possible they want you to spend the extra $ buying one. It brings you back to the store.
Personally, I like the Kuryakyn model that runs under the floorboard leaving more real estate on top.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since you hate it, you want to send it my way? Lol. My old Kawasaki had a heel shifter and I just got used to it. So it feels weird without
Gave it to my son...

my 02Chief, 2000 Electra Glide and several others had a heel shifter... I liked and used them... this on sucks...

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Awesome! Thanks all.
also, I feel these bikes should come with heel shifters as well
I guess it's one of those " to each his own" type things. I just never used one or had one on a bike. Indian loaned me a Vintage for 2 months, it had one. I honestly never used it. To me it didn't feel natural.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess it's one of those " to each his own" type things. I just never used one or had one on a bike. Indian loaned me a Vintage for 2 months, it had one. I honestly never used it. To me it didn't feel natural.
I completely understand where you are coming from. I never used on either until my last bike came with one. Once I started using one, it became natural and found it easier. Now that I don’t have one, I want one lol. I ended up purchasing the Kuryakyn heel shifter. Once it arrives, I’ll put it on. If I don’t end up liking it anymore, I’ll just take it off. It’s just one of those things you grow accustomed too.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I agree. I have ridden bikes all my life without one. When I demo'd bikes that had one, I didn't like it all and never used it. Then I bought a Vintage, got used to it, and now cannot live without one. It takes a little getting used to, but I find it much easier to shift with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree. I have ridden bikes all my life without one. When I demo'd bikes that had one, I didn't like it all and never used it. Then I bought a Vintage, got used to it, and now cannot live without one. It takes a little getting used to, but I find it much easier to shift with.
I completely agree.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It’s a cost saving move, they just deleted them this year, also don’t give you a second fob like they used to......sound familiar?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have 2 Indians and as soon as I got them home I put on: Heel Shifter, Real Highway Bars and Passenger Floor Boards. All OEM and from the dealer...

·
Rider
1,231 Posts
I too love and use the heel shifter.
Went with the Indian Pinacle.
This dont come standard because Indian is hoping to wring you out another 150.00

1 - 20 of 22 Posts