Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
15K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  rishiyur 
#1 ·
AEROMACH is offerring a toe/heel shifter for the Scout for $159.00 Currently backordered. It appears to be well made. Comment if you have one. I was designing one for myself, but then discovered this one. However, I like my design better. I was going to make two components the bolt together and share the pivot shaft. This way both levers can be adjusted to the best height for each rider. The problem is that it cost money to do this. If I make 5 or 6 units the cost comes down a little. It would be water jet cut from 1/2" thick plate 6061 aluminum. The two pieces would stack on the pivot. The bolt holes for the shifting rod would have several positions. The edges would be rounded over. It would be sand blasted and powder coated black. I am not pushing too hard to do this. But if enough of you want a set let me know. I will figure an exact price. However, I might need to charge closer to $200 because it is custom. Again, the Aeromach unit is probably good. I just wonder if I might want to adjust the heel lever up or down. I have manufactured products my whole life, so I can deliver a quality product. I hope not enough want it and save me the trouble. Anyway, your thoughts are welcome.

#2 ·
I have had the Aeromach heel shift for quite a while now and I highly recommend it.
It is a well thought out and quality made part and does the job quite well.
I used it with the OEM foot pegs until my Aeromach floor boards arrived and it worked equally well either way! The toe part of it has a much better curve to it than the OEM shift lever.
Extra length toe and heel pegs for even more ease of use!
I even changed out my brake lever peg out for their longer version too!
Great guys to work with.
Hard workers and they are very receptive to your input on an accessory.

#45 ·
I have had the Aeromach heel shift for quite a while now and I highly recommend it.
I used it with the OEM foot pegs until my Aeromach floor boards arrived and it worked equally well either way! The toe part of it has a much better curve to it than the OEM shift lever.
Great guys to work with.
How did you remove the stock shifter and brake peg?
Thanks

#3 ·
Great guys to work with.
I'm just fitting mine, along with the Aeromach footboards, as we speak! Looking forward to testing them, as I've always had a liking for heel/toe shifters since working as a Postie on the little Post bikes (Honda 110s) when I was a student in West Australia, and also have a heel/toe shifter on my Triumph 1600 T/Bird - very nice bit of kit!
Thanks RB for telling me there which peg goes on the Brake side - I was a bit puzzled, but it's obviously the longer one - cheers mate - Pat

#4 ·
I'm just fitting mine, along with the Aeromach footboards, as we speak! Looking forward to testing them, as I've always had a liking for heel/toe shifters since working as a Postie on the little Post bikes (Honda 110s) when I was a student in West Australia, and also have a heel/toe shifter on my Triumph 1600 T/Bird - very nice bit of kit!
Thanks RB for telling me there which peg goes on the Brake side - I was a bit puzzled, but it's obviously the longer one - cheers mate - Pat
Actually the long peg goes on the toe part and the short one on the heel.
I ordered an extra long one for my brake lever so they would match.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

#14 ·
I'm also a fan of my Aeromach floorboards. They were an easy install and just feel very solid on the bike. The one inch drop was another positive factor and why I chose the Aero's over the Kuryakyns, as I was looking for more legroom.

#17 ·
They also have one that is all black that matches the shifter pegs.
I don't think it is in the catalog.
They're waiting for them to come back from powdercoating. I ordered a couple of Kuryakyn shift pegs. They a bit shorter at 2-7/8" versus 3.25". I'll try plastidipping them. A cheaper alternative is ordering Drag Specialties soft ride pegs and swapping out the 5/16" bolt for a M8.
DRAG SPECIALTIES SOFT-RIDE FOOTPEGS AND SHIFTER PEGS

#22 · (Edited)
Whats the chance of lifting the toe part up when heeling down ?
Every time you heel down you raise the toe part up!

That's the way it works.
The shifter is all one piece that rocks back and forth.
You can use the toe part to down shift OR up-shift just like the OEM configuration.
the heel part is just for up-shifting.

Auto part Vehicle Muffler Automobile pedal Motorcycle accessories

#30 ·
Still cant get my head around the Heel/Toe thing...logic says to go "up" gear you lift "up" and to go "down" gear you go "down"

With this system you are always going "down", (heel and toe). I don`t know anyone with this system so can`t test it for myself. A lot of people over there has it so it must work.

Might just get a set of floorboard and use the normal shifter.

#33 ·
Still cant get my head around the Heel/Toe thing...logic says to go "up" gear you lift "up" and to go "down" gear you go "down"

With this system you are always going "down", (heel and toe). I don`t know anyone with this system so can`t test it for myself. A lot of people over there has it so it must work.

Might just get a set of floorboard and use the normal shifter.
i had a heel/toe shifter on my roadking, and will have one on the scout. when you get use to it, i feel it is much better way to shift, you never have to put your toes underneath the shifter peg anymore and you DONT mess up your boots...........

#34 ·
I have a new-to-Scout question... I have seen the pictures of the Aeromach floorboards and the heel shifter combo installed together.

I have three specific questions, which I am hoping those that have installed them (or know about them) might help me with:

(1) I have noticed (and read) that the Aeromach floorboards are about one inch lower than the footpegs. That worries me a bit as one of the things I liked about the Scout was it's clearance (which goes nicely with how nimble and light the bike is and helps you lean into curves). So, can you install these boards "higher"? Alternatively, do the other brands of boards available also drop an inch or more?

(2) In the Aeromach + heel shifter combo, how high is the heel shifter from the floorboard? It seems a bit high to me. In my other bike (not an Indian), I was used to the heel shifter being just a bit higher than the board, and so you have to lift the heel just a tad and you could shift effortlessly.

(3) Is there space between the toe and the heel for my 12US size shoe? :) :) :) Not sure I could tell.

Finally, can you use a non Aeromach floorboard with the Aeromach heel shifter combo?

Thanks in advance for your support. Below is my bike (got it yesterday)

--LRB

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

#35 ·
I don't know about the AeroMach but I stopped and talked to Kuryakyn at Biketoberfest. They have a floorboard that is about 6 inches long. They are making an adaptor for the Scout and will be out in a week or two. About $120. I think it may sit level with the existing pegs. You might want to wait and check it out. The small floorboard seems like the right size for the Scout.

#37 · (Edited)
I was not able to find or get responses to my questions above, so today I called Aeromach. Here are some of the answers (to my own questions) in case anybody might need them in the future.

(1) No, you cannot install them higher. At least not in their stock configuration. What is more, they have one install angle, and that's it. The boards are spring-loaded so they will fold as you rub them on corners, but rub them you will (chances are) :)

(2) One inch between the board and the beginning of the heel shifter. 2.75 inches between the board and the beginning of the toe shifter.

(3) There's about 8.75 inches between the heel and toe shifters. A size 12 shoe is about 10.7 inches (or so)

YMMV,
Luis

#38 ·
I've been thinking about the floor boards myself, but that's just too low. The pegs already scrape (I was alternatively wondering whether shorter pegs are available and make sense). Anything lower is just unacceptable. I guess I will wait to see what the Kuryakyn look like.

#39 ·
But here's the thing.... If the space from the Aeromach board to the Aeromach heel shifter is an inch, and you replace the board with a K board that's level with the peg (i.e. One inch higher), then does that mean that there's zero distance from the board and the heel shifter? Would you be able to heel shift?

#40 ·
I have a new-to-Scout question... I have seen the pictures of the Aeromach floorboards and the heel shifter combo installed together.

I have three specific questions, which I am hoping those that have installed them (or know about them) might help me with:

(1) I have noticed (and read) that the Aeromach floorboards are about one inch lower than the footpegs. That worries me a bit as one of the things I liked about the Scout was it's clearance (which goes nicely with how nimble and light the bike is and helps you lean into curves). So, can you install these boards "higher"? Alternatively, do the other brands of boards available also drop an inch or more?

(2) In the Aeromach + heel shifter combo, how high is the heel shifter from the floorboard? It seems a bit high to me. In my other bike (not an Indian), I was used to the heel shifter being just a bit higher than the board, and so you have to lift the heel just a tad and you could shift effortlessly.

(3) Is there space between the toe and the heel for my 12US size shoe? :) :) :) Not sure I could tell.

Finally, can you use a non Aeromach floorboard with the Aeromach heel shifter combo?

Thanks in advance for your support. Below is my bike (got it yesterday)

--LRB

View attachment 24052 View attachment 24051
What seat is that....looks real good on your bike.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#42 ·
I own www.IndianAftermarket.com and Warbonnet products. I am getting good response to my products, so I will most likely make an adjustable heel/toe shifter. It seems to me that it needs to be adjustable. Here is a photo of my first sketches. This is how I start a new design. It will go to CAD drawings next. This leads me to also produce a small floor board for the Scout. I plan to work on that also. I ride a Scout and I only want the best designs for my bike. This is why I started making parts. I have been in design and manufacturing all of my long life.
The heel/toe shifter will be made in two parts. They will join at the point where the shifter rod connects. They will have multiple holes and therefore allow many positions. I will also provide matching pegs.

Text Drawing Line art Font Sketch

#48 ·
I own www.IndianAftermarket.com and Warbonnet products. I am getting good response to my products, so I will most likely make an adjustable heel/toe shifter. It seems to me that it needs to be adjustable. Here is a photo of my first sketches. This is how I start a new design. It will go to CAD drawings next. This leads me to also produce a small floor board for the Scout. I plan to work on that also. I ride a Scout and I only want the best designs for my bike. This is why I started making parts. I have been in design and manufacturing all of my long life.
The heel/toe shifter will be made in two parts. They will join at the point where the shifter rod connects. They will have multiple holes and therefore allow many positions. I will also provide matching pegs.

View attachment 24581
Is there any chance that your heel / toe shifter will ever come to fruition? I'm sure there are many on the forum that would be anxious to get one....Me included.

#49 ·
www.IndianAftermrket.com is moving into a new larger builder. You guys have made this into a real business. I sold my other construction business so I can concentrate on Indian parts more. The move will cause some chaos for awhile but then we will be able to produce more parts and develop more new products. The Scout heel shifter is not likely to be a big seller but I like it and will probably get around to it later this summer.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.