Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does adding the kuryakan heel shift lessen the ground clearance? I just put it on, but stupidly didn’t think about the fact that the floorboard gets pushed out a bit with spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn heel shifter on my Springfield, have not changed my riding style, and have not dragged a floorboard. If it does ever hit, it would be an error on my part, not the equipment.

·
Bronze member
3,792 Posts
When I put the Kuryakin heel shifter on my bike there were no spacers added. It just bolted to the outside of the toe shifter itself - see the pic below.

If you have the toe shifter set high, for example if your boots have thick soles and a high toe piece, then it will drop the rear corner of the shifter. There is only one time I've read anything on here about that lessening the clearance.

HeelShifter01.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I put the Kuryakin heel shifter on my bike there were no spacers added. It just bolted to the outside of the toe shifter itself - see the pic below.

If you have the toe shifter set high, for example if your boots have thick soles and a high toe piece, then it will drop the rear corner of the shifter. There is only one time I've read anything on here about that lessening the clearance.

View attachment 486926
Interesting...you didn’t use the included spacers? I tried it without, but there wasn’t room to get the shift rod connected again

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Interesting...you didn’t use the included spacers? I tried it without, but there wasn’t room to get the shift rod connected again

When installing the Pinnacle OEM heel shifter, I didn't have to disconnect the shift rod. Not sure you need to on the Kuryakyn either.
Indians directions had me removing the toe shifter and soon found out that wasn't necessary either.

·
Bronze member
2,860 Posts

View attachment 486926
That looks like a new design, the older ones were closer to the edge of the floor boards.

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
I bought a gloss black Kuryakyn a few months back (about Christmas time) and it came with the spacers.

WD./

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Mine is chrome, it came with spacers, I followed the instructions and if it were not for the spacers installed, it would have been very close to the floorboard.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is chrome, it came with spacers, I followed the instructions and if it were not for the spacers installed, it would have been very close to the floorboard.
My spacers went between the floorboard mount and the bike. Effectively moving the floor board out. I was just curious if this impacts ground clearance

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
My spacers went between the floorboard mount and the bike. Effectively moving the floor board out. I was just curious if this impacts ground clearance
It hasn't for me and I ride very curvy, off-camber roads at a pretty quick pace.

You do have to have the shock at the correct pressure or you will scrape even with the stock boards.

WD./

·
Bronze member
3,792 Posts
My bad, everyone. With all the talk of spacers I just went out and checked my bike. I've got spacers. :oops:

I can't remember putting them on when I installed the shifter, and the instruction sheet doesn't mention them. However, they are there, about 6mm. Now that I know they are there I can see them on the pic I posted earlier.

With that in mind, here's my response to the OP about clearance. The touch down point on left corners for me is the outside rear corner of the board. Because it's hinged it doesn't dig in and I only hear the scrape if it's in town at certain intersections. Sometimes I have people riding behind me who tell me they are impressed by the lean angle of the bike, so I suspect the spacers are not dropping my corner clearance by any significant amount.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bad, everyone. With all the talk of spacers I just went out and checked my bike. I've got spacers. :oops:

I can't remember putting them on when I installed the shifter, and the instruction sheet doesn't mention them. However, they are there, about 6mm. Now that I know they are there I can see them on the pic I posted earlier.

With that in mind, here's my response to the OP about clearance. The touch down point on left corners for me is the outside rear corner of the board. Because it's hinged it doesn't dig in and I only hear the scrape if it's in town at certain intersections. Sometimes I have people riding behind me who tell me they are impressed by the lean angle of the bike, so I suspect the spacers are not dropping my corner clearance by any significant amount.
Thanks for checking! Good to know.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

Once again it does not. I went on a 150 mile charity ride yesterday, hit some really twisty roads, never hit the floor board one time, tossed my Springfield around just like I used to do my Scout. All was good.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I made and installed a 3/4 inch thick spacer between my left floor board mount and the frame to put it in a better position for my comfort. I haven't scraped it any more than I did before moving it out. I'm sure there is a degree or two difference in lean angle before contact, but it's not a functional difference that I can tell.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts