Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has a bit of minor thudding vibration starting around 4K which I feel in my bars. Not bad at all but those OEM bar-end weights look pretty wimpy so I looked for some heavy weight bar ends that will work with our 14mm ID Pro Taper bars. Sourced a really nice set from these folks: http://www.hvmp.com/14mmUniversal-s/46.htm. OEM bar end weight: 6.3 oz. HVMP: 14.7oz.

Result: the minor thudding in the bars at 4K and above is now history.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Something else that really helps with the vibration are the simple and cheap closed cell foam grip covers they sell on eBay. They are a bit of a struggle to get on, but probably reduce vibration by about 50%. AND they do make the diameter of the grips a little larger, a good thing if you have large hands.... I suggest buying up a bit and getting the ones that actually list the length and diameter of the grips they will fit.

·
Silver member
4,822 Posts
I tried grips that had a slightly larger diameter on another bike, and couldn't get used to them, hands/gloves sized XL. They increased the relative distance to the front brake too much for me to the point I couldn't ride with two fingers on the front brake without making my thumb joint hurt. That said, at age 50+ the joints in my hands are definitely getting painful and rusty.

Try before you buy!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use these and have for many years!! IMG_0698[1].JPG IMG_0697[1].JPG

·
Read Only
636 Posts
It's too bad they don't make them so that more of the material is on the inside of the bars... they stick out like an extra inch from the factory bar ends which I don't care for the look.
Unfortunately since you need the extra weight of these to deaden the vibes, you would have to have that same amount dead weight needed inside a handlebar that has a tubing ID of 14 mm. The extra length sticking out actually gives you some options for re-positioning your hands to relax.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't find the appearance to be a deal breaker.... The added ballast is certainly a plus in vibration control.... The added length may well save levers in a tip over.... Lane splitting, less than helpful.... All in all, I say a winner....

·
Read Only
636 Posts
I don't find the appearance to be a deal breaker.... The added ballast is certainly a plus in vibration control.... The added length may well save levers in a tip over.... Lane splitting, less than helpful.... All in all, I say a winner....
Lane splitting in the UK and other countries may be OK, but it's illegal in the USA.

·
Rider
669 Posts
It’s funny that “we Californians” take things like lane splitting into consideration. I always want that extra space for lane splitting and am cautious to add things that’s will reduce that space. My favorite is lane splitting right by a cop all the way to the front of the red light because even tho it’s legal I still get goose bumps doing it next to cops.

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Lane splitting is illegal in Florida. Riding a motorcycle in-between lanes in Florida will result in a traffic ticket – whether the motorcyclist is doing so safely or not. [bag]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts