Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heated seats as do all Roadmasters. I have ridden in weather in the upper thirties with those seats turned on. In my opinion they are too hot. There are two heat settings and I have always used the Low setting. Last weekend I tried using the High setting thinking that maybe misunderstood the google switch position or the switch was mounted upside down. High was too hot as well. Has anyone else had this issue? If so is there a resolve? The only resolve that I have is to turn it on and then when it gets uncomfortable turn it off then back on when it cools down. That is a pain in the A__ __. No pun intended.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I like the heated seat option and have only used the low setting. When it gets hot I turn it off. When it gets cold again I turn it on. It is a nice option and my Vision was the same way, hot or off.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,389 Posts
I have heated seats as do all Roadmasters. I have ridden in weather in the upper thirties with those seats turned on. In my opinion they are too hot. There are two heat settings and I have always used the Low setting. Last weekend I tried using the High setting thinking that maybe misunderstood the google switch position or the switch was mounted upside down. High was too hot as well. Has anyone else had this issue? If so is there a resolve? The only resolve that I have is to turn it on and then when it gets uncomfortable turn it off then back on when it cools down. That is a pain in the A__ __. No pun intended.
Yes, they get very hot even on the low setting. Like Cliff02 stated. I turn it on just to get warmed up then I turn it off. Once it gets warm I usually don't need to turn in on again. Dean E

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You could add a rheostat to it and cut down the voltage
I'm going to look into this, or installing some type of thermostat, as I too notice it just gets way to hot, to the point of pain, not good, not sure how you could ever use the high setting, unless your wearing a snow mobile suite I guess, and it's like 10dgs out.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'm going to look into this, or installing some type of thermostat, as I too notice it just gets way to hot, to the point of pain, not good, not sure how you could ever use the high setting, unless your wearing a snow mobile suite I guess, and it's like 10dgs out.
My heated gloves I installed on my last bike had the option of a rheostat, I chose to just shut them off when too hot. That however backfired on me when I accidentally left them on and I killed the battery, It is damn near impossible to push start a FI bike but I managed it. I was at Port Dover Friday the 13th, one of the biggest rallies in Canada. it was rather embarrassing. I installed a relay after that so that they could not be left on accidentally.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My heated gloves I installed on my last bike had the option of a rheostat, I chose to just shut them off when too hot. That however backfired on me when I accidentally left them on and I killed the battery, It is damn near impossible to push start a FI bike but I managed it. I was at Port Dover Friday the 13th, one of the biggest rallies in Canada. it was rather embarrassing. I installed a relay after that so that they could not be left on accidentally.
The bike has a time out after ignition shut down built in for the stereo, heated grips and seat, I will keep in mind though, to not by pass the stock feed to the seat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been able to try out the heated seats and grips on my new Roadmaster for short trips. Just jeans on so the low setting on the seats is more than enough. Even with gloves I start the grips out at 7 and drop it down to 5 for the rest of the ride.

I wonder about the seat heater drying out the leather. I think I'll spend extra time treating the leather. Got a 120 mile ride (one way) this morning to the dealer. I'm going to let them do the 500 mile service. It'll be the last good weather for a little while - in the 50's and sunny on the ride home.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ballgame, Synergy makes just such an item to work with their gear. It's a heat controller for gloves, suits, pants, chaps.....etc. It should work with our seats on the RM. It could probably be retrofitted either between the Toggle switch & supply or the Toggle switch & heater. Might have to do some research to see if it would have any adverse affects on the actual heater with the reduction in voltage/amps. I have seen them somewhere on the net for around 40-50 bucks or so. Good Luck, post back & let us know how you made out if you give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I was doing a little research on a heated seat for here in MN. I realize this is a really old thread, for future reference for someone like me that might be looking you can get a 100% electronic voltage booster or buck device. This turns the voltage on and off and doesn't move the heat from the seat pad to a rheostat and still use the same power. If I get a seat looks like I might have to try one.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I used mine on a fall ride from Montreal to Dallas. I ride with a sheep skin and the whole arrangement worked quite well. Started the cold Ohio morning on high and went to low after an hour.

The thing I would like most for the seat heaters is a monitoring light. I have turned them on by accident while loading my saddle bags and its taken a while to realize that on a hot day.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
I used mine on a fall ride from Montreal to Dallas. I ride with a sheep skin and the whole arrangement worked quite well. Started the cold Ohio morning on high and went to low after an hour.

The thing I would like most for the seat heaters is a monitoring light. I have turned them on by accident while loading my saddle bags and its taken a while to realize that on a hot day.
I check to see if mine is in the middle any time I'm in the left saddle bag or have wiped the bike down after washing or in rain. Just another SOP. Like you, I don't like a surprise on a hot 100º+ day. I even check if I've been in a restaurant just in case some wise acre flipped them on high. I've had that happen and hope the jerk fries in hell. So yes, I check those switches all the time.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have the RM classic so I have a spare button on the tank nacelle where I could install a couple of LEDs. That could be a nice option.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My wife was complaining the other day about the rear part of the seat feeling too hot and this was on a hot summer day. Just got around to checking it and the heater was on. Those switches are real easy to move by accident.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My wife was complaining the other day about the rear part of the seat feeling too hot and this was on a hot summer day. Just got around to checking it and the heater was on. Those switches are real easy to move by accident.
On a hot summer day it's hard to tell where the heat is coming from. Usually the engine generates enough heat to make you think that the seat heater is on. Nice in the fall, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know if it gets to hot. I realize what a rump roast feels like. I forget the switch positions until I get to hot. Try to keep it on low for the most part unless it’s snowing

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I bought my bike never told about the heated seats. That summer I am riding and apparently had hit the high toggle when cleaning the bike. Holly cow, I thought I was on fire. I too ride in cold weather and never put it more than low setting. Find the same thing with the heated grips. Never over 4 and it goes up to 9. I guess better this way than the alternative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts