Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes, I've tried the seat on my bike. Works pretty well it seems, kept it on medium recently, nice and warm. The first time I took a demo ride, the bike I rode had a heated seat, but nobody knew it. Apparently it was on high and liked to have burned me up! I asked if it had a heated seat and they said no. The only thing I could figure was they had left the bike out in the sun for a heck of a long time! Now I know better...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not a fan of heated seats, my butt is never cold on cold days

now the rest of me is another story.

had heated grips on my last bike, not a big fan of those either.

only heated the palms, the rest of my hands still cold

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not a fan of heated seats, my butt is never cold on cold days now the rest of me is another story. had heated grips on my last bike, not a big fan of those either. only heated the palms, the rest of my hands still cold
I don't get it. Why put heated anything on a bike and then layers of insulation between you n the heat?
If I were to do cold weather riding (I don't) I would invest in heated gear. That way it goes with me regardless of bike. same for music. Why bugger yor bike with garbage. Want music? Stik a player in yor pocket and earbuds. better sound, bike to bike transfer. The benefits just keep on rolling. next somebody will want to tow a trailer cuz they have too much schitt in ther lives and need to take it everywhere. Wonder why some folks bother to ride?

·
Founding member
1,009 Posts
Heated seats and heated grips are great when you aren't layered up and don't have your heated gear with you. For example, riding out of Gallop, New Mexico in June at 38 degrees in the early morning, or through Rocky Mountain National Park in any summer month early in the morning while on a trip, etc. There are many places that surprise you with COLD while on a long trip in the summer. I like heated seats and grips. I also like heated gear in the cold months but it is too bulky to carry in the summer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
RC, gotcha. it's for those minimal needs, these are just comfort items. We load our bikes up with so much crap. It is a whole another job just to maintain all these convenience features. I prefer my sleds to be less encumbered. Yeah I kno I ponied up for the big chief. Must be the culture is finally wearing me down. But I still prefer accessories to be separate independent. They work better because their not app specific and they're portable. I have am down to just 3 sleds for now.

·
Founding member
1,009 Posts
I hear ya', Poncho. I'm on a cut-back, slim down, less is more, campaign for my bikes as well! Time will tell how successful I am. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looking at this seat because it's supposed to be lower, (can't put my feet flat on the ground), What are you thoughts on that. Also how is the comfort compared to the stock seat?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking at this seat because it's supposed to be lower, (can't put my feet flat on the ground), What are you thoughts on that. Also how is the comfort compared to the stock seat?
ed, if that were my issue, legs-inseam being on the short side, I would look seriously at fabricating new suspension links at the shock/swing arm interface. This is common practice, and its a matter of time b4 either ***** or aftermarket provides this item/feature. A set of 1/2" longer links will drop the rear end 1+" depending upon the geometry. The amount of suspension travel remains the same. Fender clearances are always checked but there is more than ample room of extra wheel travel. Heavier fellas will dial more preload on the shock to keep from bottoming out. Most likely not to be an issue with you, most shorter folks dont pack that much excess mass..
all this is to say that you can dial in these state of art engineered designed suspension systems to fit your particular requirements.. ie, its not yor granpas hardley.. poncho
1799135_440590772737978_969204125_o.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
lowering a bike,, I have done this with numerous skoots thru the years. have never had any issues that couldnt be resolved with simple solutions.
besides the usual lower the rear suspension methods employed for various machines, there is yet another helpfull item that often gets overlooked. This requires a bit of study to verify there are no operational issues, but most often is absolutely do-able.. ready?
ok, look at-study your front forks and how they sit in thier triple trees. If there is ample clearance between the front fender and the bike/frame when at full compression(forx)., then put the bike on a lift and take the weight of the front suspension, leave the front tire still touching the floor.
loosen the allen head bolts in the triple trees, such that the fork tubes can now slide in their keepers.
Gently,, lower the bike on the lift ever so slightly so that the fork tubes rise up and until they now ride 1" higher than the top triple tree. 1" is plenty. make sure both sides are equal. Lock down the allen bolts in the triple trees.
Now if you've lowered the rear and the front, your first problem is getting the bike off the lift as the frame is now 1+" lower front and back. Put a 2x4 under the kickstand, the lift will roll rite out. keep in mind the bike is standing straight up and mite fall over to the right side. catch it.
Remove 2x4. Note that the bike does not lean over all that much anymore. Before you go fixing this new issue. take the bike for a Ride and see how you like your new SLAMMED SLED. whoohoo! itsa freekin gas. and you can put both stompers on the ground now.!
keep in mind your foota boards are now 1" closer to the pavers and will likely bark at you sooner in the benders.. thats corners for the ill literate.

if you like your new found freind, you have several ways to address the kickstand being too long issue. Uno, buy a shorter one? Dos, cut, bend, weld the one you got? Tres, only park on down hill slopes with the left side favored downhill. this is tricky, cause not everywhere can you find this grading and most often the grade goes the other way,, ie side of road.. so best you just fix it, the lean over thing. poncho

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never needed heated seats and I live in Canada I have a heated liner now for my Cheiftain for the first time and dont think I will ever go back as far as heated grips I will just purchase the gloves now as yes then my whole hands will be warmed up and they just plug right into the heated line. I just need to move the connection for the battery to an inconspicuous place and all will be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am interested in the heated seat - not for the heat, but because it's supposed to bring the short rider forward and lower. I don't need heat in Texas.
The charge for the dealer to install pull-back bars doubles the cost, making the cost of the seat not look so bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Short inseam

By the way, for a short inseam, it's a loong reach to the extended kickstand. I'll need a kickstand attachment for that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PPS - Depending where you look, the seat height is described as 26" or 29".
Does anyone know how much the bike can be lowered by adjusting the shock "sag"?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts