Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm about to get my seat reworked and I have the option to add heating. I'm from Ohio and rode all winter long without a heated seat so I'm trying to understand the benefit. Does it really help that much? Is it worth the extra cost? I don't have heated grips or gear but my thought was if I was going to get something heated, the gear might be a better spend. The only thing the gear doesn't seem to help with is cases where the cold would come on suddenly and I don't have the gear on/with me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
409 Posts
The answer to that question is VERY subjective. I have a RM and the wife turns her heat on once it is in the low 60's, but i have yet to need it. We have ridden many times in the 40's and just layered up, before we had the RM. My wife says it work very well to keep her warm with no heated gear and never wants to be without it again. I myself ride quite often when it is in the 30's so i am happy to know i have a heated seat to warm my buns when it is that cold. Since you ride all winter you know how it feels and what you can handle. Do you want to just deal with the cold? or be comfortable in the cold? Or maybe the heat would just be annoying to you. Only you know that.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
1,001 Posts
I have used my heated seat from time to time, but what gets cold on me is my hands. I find my heated gloves more valuable.

Reactions: THOR504

·
Registered
419 Posts
I live in Chicago and I tested a heated seat, din't really do much difference to be honest to justify the cost so I just returned it. The heated grips are a way better upgrade in my opinion. I use the heated grips year round, even in summer with my gloves I set them to 2-3 and they keep my hands toasty.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
My heated seat is mainly for my wife. She loves it. I've used it in 20 degree mornings and it's nice but I can live with or without it. I miss my heated grips. Had them on my last two HD's and they saved my hands in those temps, specially on longer rides than just the work commute. I've considered installing them on my Chieftain but the faring does a very nice job of deflecting the wind better than my last Road Glide. Without the grips heated on the Road Glide and with the factory handlebars hanging your hands out in the wind, my hands would still be frozen. If I had to choose which, grips would be top of the list.

I've looked at heated clothing in the past but do not have any. I layer and it works great for me. I don't want to fiddle with all the wires and such with heated clothes...just my preference.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I can only speak from my usage of the heated seat on my Victory Cross Country Tour (because it came with heated seats + grips... stock - and cost less than my '19 CDH which doesn't have any of those things! /ANNOYED), I live in NY and I miss it very much. I could feel the heat and the wife would yell at me to turn hers off "high setting" because it was TOO hot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm about to get my seat reworked and I have the option to add heating. I'm from Ohio and rode all winter long without a heated seat so I'm trying to understand the benefit. Does it really help that much? Is it worth the extra cost? I don't have heated grips or gear but my thought was if I was going to get something heated, the gear might be a better spend. The only thing the gear doesn't seem to help with is cases where the cold would come on suddenly and I don't have the gear on/with me.

Thoughts?
I just recently purchased a 2020 RM and opted for the heated/cooling seat. I live in SoCal and can tell you that the cooling side is a blessing in our triple digit weather. Additionally, when my wife and I are on rides during the winter months to cold areas (cold to us is below 60) the heated seats are very nice. My wife at least feels that if her buns are warm, the rest of her is warm. Happy wife, happy life

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses! I probably should have stated I realize it's subjective but I wanted to understand how other people used it and if they felt it was worth it along with some experiences. I've gotten off the bike a few times with cold hips more than anything (aside from hands and feet) and I'm not sure a heated seat will help with that.

·
Bronze Member
1,818 Posts
I think that it would be dependent on a number of things. How much cold weather riding you do? How much would it extend your riding season by having it? How cold does your derriere get when riding in colder temperatures? How much does the price impact you financially?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am intending to upgrade to a Roadmaster seat on my Chieftain. I've also debated the need for the heated feature. So I appreciate you asking this question.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Worth and use of anything heated depends on the person. My brother-in-law won’t buy any heated stuff for his bike cause he says he won’t ride if it’s cold enough to need it. I’ve talked to some that won’t do heated grips cause they don’t care about their hands getting chilly and don’t see the point in wasting the money.

Personally, I’ve got heated vest, heated jacket, heated pants, and have heated seat on the indian. Have heated grips on one of my other bikes and probably will get those for the indian at some point. When it’s really cold yea the heated gear is probably the better option for total warmth, but there’s benefits to both. The seat and heated grips if ya have them are always with the bike, you just have to turn them on. So if ya head out while the suns up and weathers nice, but gets a bit chilly coming home after sundown just flip a switch and it’ll take the edge off. Or if it’s early morning when you leave and chilly, have the heated seat on for the first bit of the ride and once they suns up and temps rise you don’t have to stop somewhere to take off all the extra warm heated gear. Also depends how far you’re going, if just a quick short ride somewhere it’ll take ya more time to put the heated gear on and plug it in and then take it off again when ya get there, so heated seat can be enough for a short ride without the extra hassle. Also where you’re riding to. Going from my house to my sisters pass thru a bit of mountains, it can be 70-80 at my house and hers but in the mountain roads can be 45-50. Nice to cut the seat on for that bit of the ride but not have all the extra gear on outside the mountains and don’t have to stop to put on or take off gear.

Basically when it’s just chilly enough it’s nice to have the extra warmth on demand, but if it’s actually cold the whole ride then yea the gears probably better. I use both pretty often. This time of year I think the seats great around here, it can be low 50s or even 40s in the morning or late evening but mid 70s during the day, don’t need heated gear all day but nice to have that bit of extra warmth in the morning/nite without stopping to put on or take off anything extra.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
It does if you are freezing your azz off! D

Reactions: Caprock

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Oh yeh... we ride year round in Colorado and heated seat and grips are quite welcome. Spend the dime!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I live in New England and the heated grips are a blessing. I have also used them recently in the mountains of Colorado, and riding through the rain in Indiana....during my cross-country ride.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad I have the heated seat and grips. I turn on the seat when it is below 50. Only used the low setting. Well worth it to me in the Boston area where I ride year round. The grips I keep at a low setting also but I still use my battery powered heated gloves to keep the back of my hands warm since they are in the wind on the Springfield DH.

·
Early joiner
241 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thoughts?
Very worth it...especially on longer welldigger’s cold rides.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,437 Posts
I have heated grips and seat and find them to be extremely valuable in the cooler to cold months. My temps can easily swing 40 degrees in a day. When I leave for work in the mornings it can be 30-40 and then in the 70's when I come home. Having good windprotection and the heated components means I don't have to put near as much on for my ride in. I only use them when the temp is in the low 50's and below. My wife loves the seat too for our cooler rides.

Reactions: Sturgis85

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
840 Posts
I ride all year round and will continue to do so with heated grips, heated seat and a heated jacket liner. It's the 21st century, why not splurge on comfort?

·
Registered
411 Posts
For me the heated grips are more important than the seat. But if you have to ask, you know you want it, just go for it!

I have only used mine a couple times. Think the wife has accidentally turned mine on more than I have on purpose.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts