Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Heated Jacket connection

427 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Mungrol
I have a heated jacket that uses the normal battery connection terminals to connect to the bike, how can I connect this on a Challenger due to the battery location?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
671 Posts
There should be some kind of connection between the battery leads and your jacket. Otherwise how are you going to get on and off the bike to do anything but ride? You would have to take your jacket off and leave it with the bike.

The connections attach to your battery posts, the lead goes to where you can attach the connection to your jacket. Couple for heat when heading out, disconnect when you dismount so you don't have to drag your bike with you and or leave your jacket on the bike.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cable connects to the battery and my jacket plugs into that lead!
My question is, as the battery is not in the common place ie under the seat, how do other people get round this issue as its so far away, it would, I guess, need a custom extra long lead up the frame, under the tank and out the side of the seat somewhere. Or is there another way others connect heated gear?

· Registered
671 Posts
The cable connects to the battery and my jacket plugs into that lead!
My question is, as the battery is not in the common place ie under the seat, how do other people get round this issue as its so far away, it would, I guess, need a custom extra long lead up the frame, under the tank and out the side of the seat somewhere. Or is there another way others connect heated gear?
I have in the past extended the lead so it comes to a point that makes it easier for me to connect to it. I have also seen "extension" leads that go from the battery lead to your jacket lead. You can usually find them in different lengths. I prefer to just extend the leads. I have also seen people plug in to the fuse block on some BMW's and KTM's.

Out of curiosity, what type of heated gear is it?

If it is Garmin they have heaps of different ways to connect and extend the connecting leads.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have in the past extended the lead so it comes to a point that makes it easier for me to connect to it. I have also seen "extension" leads that go from the battery lead to your jacket lead. You can usually find them in different lengths. I prefer to just extend the leads. I have also seen people plug in to the fuse block on some BMW's and KTM's.

Out of curiosity, what type of heated gear is it?

If it is Garmin they have heaps of different ways to connect and extend the connecting leads.
Its a Milwaukee Leather Jacket, only heated proper leather jacket (front, back and arms) I have ever seen, not a liner or vest. Also its has dual energy source, either connect direct to the bike or to a battery if walking around or riding a strange bike.

· Registered
671 Posts
Its a Milwaukee Leather Jacket, only heated proper leather jacket (front, back and arms) I have ever seen, not a liner or vest. Also its has dual energy source, either connect direct to the bike or to a battery if walking around or riding a strange bike.
It looks like it uses the same style fittings / cords as the Garmin gear. So I would wager you should be able to find an extender that would work for you.

309 Posts
I believe all Challengers come with a battery tender connector. Mine was located left side rear of the engine. I simple bought a splitter and ran one side up to the front of the seat, where it is very easy to plug in my electric jacket. No need to run an additional wire from the battery. I also installed an inline fuse after the splitter.

· Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
1,309 Posts
No, connect direct to the battery posts
Ok … so this is the end that connects to the jacket.
Gesture Font Audio equipment Electric blue Cable

Find your battery tender, SAE connector, and get an adapter, similar to what I posted. You should be good to go. You can always get SAE extension cables in various lengths.

You could also use this if you have a 12v power connector in a saddle bag …
Peripheral Audio equipment Microphone Output device Font

· Registered
2022 Indian Pursuit Dark Horse Premium
54 Posts
My Pursuit came with a battery tender port in the fairing to the left of the right side storage compartment. If you don't have that maybe they sell this to retrofit other bikes since it is the same fairing?

· Registered
11 Posts
So, my girl has a 2021 Challenger and she has heated gear, gloves and jacket liner. She was using the battery tender port in the fairing to power her heated gear but the heated gear began to shut off over time. I believe but am not sure it if was because there was no fuse on the battery tender line. I removed the tank and ran and coaxial cord from the battery along the stock wiring harness to a location at the seat where she can not plug in her heat gear. She has had no issues with it now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts