Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's got heated grips and what are you using? I have Oxfords on my Suzuki. I just picked up my FTR today and the temps here in Maine are already cool. I got home just at dark and was wishing for my grips. Does Indian make a set for another bike that you retrofitted?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just installed apollo heated grips today.......tried the jst connector and screwed it up so did a standard connector behind the headlight and heat shrinked everything. Yes yes I am a hack. Love the different heat settings with controller built in to the left grip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I fitted Koso Apollo heated grips from Revzilla, that have the heat control integrated in the LH grip, avoiding an ugly separate controller. I wish I had them on all my bikes.

For the technically minded they draw 2.55 amps max @ 14.2 volt motor running.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are they plug and play or do you need to cut and splice?

Reactions: BushPig

·
Registered
148 Posts
Are they plug and play or do you need to cut and splice?
It was a bit of both for me. It took me a long time to find the heated grips connector, it was hidden behind the headlight which first involved removing the shroud before unbolting the headlight.

The connector was foreign to me, so I found a couple of pins from another connector, soldered them to the wires offered by the supplied Koso harness kit. Everything was smothered in heat shrink, and I hope I never have to look at them again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Digikey.com has both male and female JST connectors that fit the FTR. I used the heated grip connector to control a relay for driving lights.

They cost about a buck fifty each. The pins are very small. Forum members have used needle nose pliers to crimp them. The correct tool is an Engineer PA-09 made in Japan. It makes beautiful crimps and there are tons of youtube videos showing how to use them. The tool is about $50 shipped on eBay. I use it for electronics projects so I already owned it. Probably too expensive for one connector.

Male
Housing# 02T--JWPF-VSLE-S (455-1166-ND‎)
Pin(male)# SWPT-001T-P025 (455-1320-1-ND‎)

Female
02R-JWPF-VSLE-S (455-1205-ND‎)
SWPR-001T-P025‎ (455-1321-1-ND‎)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Standard grips for the FTR are 120mm long and the handle bar is 7/8 or 22mm, I ordered today Techno Globe gold grips with integrated switch and 5 different modes looks the same as Koso .

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I might have been premature recommending the Koso Apollo heated grips. Mine are switching themselves off, the amount of time they stay on appears to be a function of the setting -the higher the setting, the lest time it takes to switch itself off. Can switch it back on, but eventually gives up and won't switch back on until an undetermined time has passed.

Checked all my connections, including the fuse. Got me stumped!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I might have been premature recommending the Koso Apollo heated grips. Mine are switching themselves off, the amount of time they stay on appears to be a function of the setting -the higher the setting, the lest time it takes to switch itself off. Can switch it back on, but eventually gives up and won't switch back on until an undetermined time has passed.

Checked all my connections, including the fuse. Got me stumped!
I think those are voltage sensitive. Are they shutting off at idle or while you're motoring? I have had really good luck with my Oxfords but I want to avoid the goofy controller. Does Indian make factory ones?

·
Registered
148 Posts
They're shutting off as I'm riding. I don't think it's over voltage but I guess I should measure the voltage across the battery with the motor running at highway speeds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're shutting off as I'm riding. I don't think it's over voltage but I guess I should measure the voltage across the battery with the motor running at highway speeds.
I think I read they shut off at under 11 volts, so.... Probably not that, you would be having other issues.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts