Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they really worth the price? I live in So. Missouri, so we get some cold for a few months a year....

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just did my bars so I added them. For me they were worth the price. They work really good and at setting 3 they were plenty warm.

Phil

·
Founding member
2,205 Posts
I prefer heated gloves to heated grips ...
a) your hands stay warm if you take one of the handlebar while riding,
b) most of the cold is from air hitting the outside of your hand (not your palm) and gloves have heating elements on both sides of your hand, and
c) cheaper (and they can easily be transferred to a future or second bike).

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I prefer heated gloves to heated grips ...
a) your hands stay warm if you take one of the handlebar while riding,
b) most of the cold is from air hitting the outside of your hand (not your palm) and gloves have heating elements on both sides of your hand, and
c) cheaper (and they can easily be transferred to a future or second bike).
This plus 1. Dollar for Dollar, heated gloves are a better investment. I installed Avon heated grips on my Shadow, and my RM came with them from the factory. While I do like the convenience of pushing a button and having the grips heat up, I have found that they are only really useful in the 40-60 degree F temperature range. Any colder and the wind chill negates the warmth from the grip. There are gloves that are supposed to be "heated grip friendly", with little or no insulation on the palm, and double insulation on the back to "trap" the heat, but they don't seem to help all that much. Also, if you are running a bike without a fairing, or with a fairing but have midrise bars, there is a lot more wind on your hands.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Heated gloves might be nice - I've not tried them yet, but I did install the grips on my darkhorse, and while I agree that the outside of your hand can still get cold, it makes cold weather riding much nicer and I can go longer between stops. For me, worth the investment and time to install.

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
Heated grips are another creature comfort, that once you have them, you wouldn’t want to go without. I live in Coastal Georgia, so our weather rarely requires heated grips (and seat), but it’s so nice when starting out on those mornings when it’s in the 40s - 50s.

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
40's and 50's- you live in lap of luxury Tiger - I ride into the 20's in northern IL. Heated grips and seats do tend to extend out your riding season a bit, so a worth while investment.
Yeah, anything in the 50s and everyone here talks about it being cold. However, come June, July, August, and September we get baked in a wet oven.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I love both my heated grips and seat. Would never go back to non-heated. I've used heated gear in another bike life. Since I got the RM, I've never hooked up the gloves. Don't need to. I live in the Mid-Atlantic region.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I also use an old Widder vest. In Colorado the temps can swing 50 deg. between morning and noon. It's nice to switch them up and down/ off and on whilst riding. No more cold nuts.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Heated grips are not just about keeping your hands warm. When you ride, especially in temperatures in the low 50's, your body will work to keep the torso warm by restricting blood to areas like the hands and your feet. Even though you have gloves on, the restricted blood flowing to the hands can make it painful. Heated grips assist in keeping your hands warm and able to operate and feel less pain. The impact of blood being restricted is different from rider to rider, but if you are one of those riders who gets "blue hand" heated grips make ALL the difference.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did a right today in the German so called middle mountain. It was between 55 an 65. And it was pretty cool, not to have cool hands by only using the Indian mesh gloves. :cool:😜

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I live on Australia's east coast which does not get very cold winters but I ride into colder territory and that's where I appreciate the heated grips. They were an expensive addition but money well spent. To stop cold wind on the outside of my gloves I have grip guards that go on in winter. They are a good combination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts