Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched all 9 pages on the DH forum and found no answer to the following question.
Ok so I'm seeing two different part numbers for a heated grip kit that fit the 16 DH. One is 2879730 and the other is 2881702. Looking at Cheap Cycle Parts they show both but on the Indian Motorcycle website I only see 2881702. Can you tell me what kit those of you who bought heated grips part number wise? I think I can install them myself but wonder if like other accessories I have bought from Indian do they come with pretty good instructions. Do you think the instructions are informative? I've installed the air shock, 12V outlet in the right saddlebag, 12V outlet in the handlebar bag and the passing lamps with lower wind deflectors so I want to do this as well. Maybe put a set on my Chieftain as well. Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed the 2879730 kit in my DH. Just to confuse things, the 2017 catalog lists p/n 2882424 now.

You will also have to purchase two Wiring Harnesses (2412963) to run inside the handlebars, sold separately.

The instructions were good. I think the hardest part was getting the end caps off the bars. They just pry off with a screwdriver. There are two connectors inside the head light nacelle that the wire harnesses will connect too. One was labeled but the other one wasn't on my bike.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our 2016 DH's don't have the handlebars pre-wired so you can skip a few steps but you'll need to run a wire harness from each grip to the nacelle.
View attachment 151801 View attachment 151809 View attachment 151817
Ok so the two wire harnesses are run down inside the handlebars then snake forward and hook into the harness inside the nacelle? Did the two harnesses come with instructions? Did you go to dealer and hook up digital wrench to make sure the heated grips function properly. Thanks for sharing. I see that the instructions call for one hour to install the grips alone but figure the wire harness being installed in the bars will take longer. Guess I can ask dealer what the flat rate is to do all the work there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, the two wire harnesses are run down inside the handlebars then snake forward and hook into the harness inside the nacelle. I took the back of the nacelle off to get to the harnesses and used a stiff wire to snake the wires through the bars.

I can't remember if the harnesses came with instructions but I don't think so. I would have saved them if they did.

I didn't go to a dealer. I just turned them on and they worked. Really no way to mess it up.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the 2879730 kit in my DH. Just to confuse things, the 2017 catalog lists p/n 2882424 now.

You will also have to purchase two Wiring Harnesses (2412963) to run inside the handlebars, sold separately.

The instructions were good. I think the hardest part was getting the end caps off the bars. They just pry off with a screwdriver. There are two connectors inside the head light nacelle that the wire harnesses will connect too. One was labeled but the other one wasn't on my bike.
Yep I just looked at the 2017 Accessories and Garage Catalog and on page 48 it shows the heated grips using part number 2882424 AND it says this kit comes with a wiring harness in addition to the switch and grips. Therre is a "New" icon next to the listing too. Perhaps the older kits don't have the two harnesses that go inside the bars? Nice of Indian to add content without increasing the price!

Reactions: Jimmcapp

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FYI-Called and spoke to a parts guy at Cheap Cycle Parts since their web site has two different part numbers for the heated grips on the 2016 DH page. Only part number 2881702 comes with the wiring harness not the other one listed right next to it which is part number 2879730. I told the guy on the phone they should amend the listing to show this but he said they get their info direct from Polaris so they cannot amend the description. Also they could not order the kit listed in the 2017 Indian catalog that states it has the wire harness included (part number 2882424) as it did not show up in their system. Go figure!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 2016 catalog has part number 2879730 and it also says the harness is included but it's actually not. There are other errors in both catalogs.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another weekend of security duty another chance to add something to the DH. I appreciate the instructions that come with Indian accessories and read them thoroughly before starting the job. After removing the nacelle they say you should unhook all the wiring that runs inside the handle bars and then remove the bars. That to me seemed unnecessary. They recommend some kind of fish tape to get the heated grip harness leads down to the front of the handlebars. For the left grip the harness just goes inside and slides down w/o any resistance since there's only one wire loom in that side. The right grip with more wires already installed inside the handlebar was not as easy. I threaded in some left over stainless steel wire then pulled the harness through after using electricians tape to mate the two together. Definitely felt some resistance and took it slow on the right harness. Instructions said to hook the two heated grip harness up to the plugs labeled left and right heated grip. As shown in the attached picture mine were colored red and blue. Being a merchant sailor I hooked the left grip to the red (port) plug in the main harness. The left grip has a small bolt that mates to the screw you reuse to secure the grip. The instruction make no reference to this bolt. Found it inside the old grip after trying to re-secure the heated grip to the left handlebar and not feeling the screw tighten up. See second picture.The third picture is of the leads that I believe power up the 12V outlet in the dash of the RM/Chieftain. Power to these leads only came on after I turned the ignition on. Just sharing this for those looking to get some switched on power. One interesting thing I noticed. I started up the bike and ran it w/o the head light reinstalled to make sure all was right with the grips installation. Well the passing lamps came on and I could not turn them off. Guess Indian doesn't want you to ride w/o any forward illumination. Pretty savvy engineering IMHO
Auto part Wire Cable Electrical wiring Automotive fuel system
Material property Hand Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system
Hand Finger Auto part Cable

Reactions: Jimmcapp

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since it's actually cold here this winter, I went ahead and put my heated grips on. It's one single part number now, it comes with 2 different switches for old vs new (14-16 vs 17-on).
It took a couple of hours. Wasn't terribly hard, even in the 48 degree garage. I didn't take my handlebars off, and didn't need anything to help fish the wires through. They're stiff enough you can kind of shove them through from the grip in until you can see them in the middle of the handlebar.
I also didn't disconnect my clutch switch, and don't find it terribly necessary. No reflashing required.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts