Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
The manual for the 2016 RM says that if the heated grips were on when the bike is turned off then when the bike is started back up the heated grips will automatically come back on again to the previous setting.
My 2016 RM is not doing this. The heated grips work fine but do not come back on automatically the next time the bike is started back up. It's not a big deal but is this a manual misprint?
Thanks
Mover

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine go back to setting I had it on automatically also 2018 roadmaster,but I think I would prefer where it shuts off automatically when you turn the bike off, my issue is my clock is set at Gps time and comes on and stays at that current time through the whole ride lol its a thing where the dealership can't figure it out and I learned to live with it, I use my phone for time and look at my clock and that tells me when I started the ride lol.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
On my 2018 Springfield the heated grips sometimes come on with startup where they left off, and other times they don't come on with startup. I don't know what makes the difference, but I wondered for a bit if there was a change when the bike was serviced/flashed at some point.

Another thought I had but haven't checked out yet is whether there is a difference in turning the motor off with the start button and turning it off with the ignition button. It's been a long time since winter here but our weather is at last starting to cool off and I've got it on my mental list to check out what makes the difference.

·
Bronze member
2,050 Posts
The heated grips on my 2016 Roadmaster retained their setting until last year. This spring I noticed it was no longer holding the setting anymore. I also noticed the readout on the dash was reporting charging at 14.5v at times. So I swapped in a new battery and now it’s charging at 14.1v and the grips are holding their setting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments. As long as the heated hand grips are working I don't have an issue turning them on each time. The weather is warming up here so they won't be getting used much anyway.
BTW, the bike does have a new battery that is on a tender when not used.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My 16RM would hold the setting for a period of time when the battery was good. When the battery started to fail, it would not hold the setting for the grips. Fairly decent indicator of a battery going bad, actually. Even with a good battery, the grip setting would reset to off after a day or so.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
My 16 retains the heat setting for a few hours. If I shut it off with grip heat on and come back the next day, its off.

So everyone else's grip heat will go to the previous setting even after a day or two?

·
Rider
747 Posts
On my 2018 Springfield the heated grips sometimes come on with startup where they left off, and other times they don't come on with startup. I don't know what makes the difference, but I wondered for a bit if there was a change when the bike was serviced/flashed at some point.

Another thought I had but haven't checked out yet is whether there is a difference in turning the motor off with the start button and turning it off with the ignition button. It's been a long time since winter here but our weather is at last starting to cool off and I've got it on my mental list to check out what makes the difference.
My 2017 Springfield is the same. More times than not, the setting is retained, but a fair amount of times it's not. I have yet to find a correlation either. 99% of the time I turn my bike off with the run/stop switch and then press the ignition button. My daily temps swing a lot here in the high plains, and I was wondering if maybe had something to do with ambient temp.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My setting does go away after a period of time on my 20RM. Just haven't taken the time to track how long the setting is retained.

Update: My bike hasn't been ridden in a week or so and I went out last evening for a short ride with the wife. Amazingly the grips were hot so they kept the last setting for over a week. I only put the tender on about two days ago. Again, I'm thinking this is a bell weather on the battery. I don't have any other electrical accessories or enhancements on the bike. Totally stock for those. Color me Radar Blue impressed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts