Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a low mile 2014 Chieftain and I noticed that they didn't come with heated grips from Indian. I know the Roadmaster has them. Has anyone had their dealer install Indian heated grips? If so, can you tell me what parts, part numbers and cost is involved?

Ride safe,

Wiz

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Think I have seen in here where a few have had their Dealership install heated grips on their Chieftain.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Last I knew there isn't a kit for them. All the parts are purchased separately and add up to around $330 + I have no idea what the cost of dealer installation would be. Sure miss them -

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

Just bought a low mile 2014 Chieftain and I noticed that they didn't come with heated grips from Indian. I know the Roadmaster has them. Has anyone had their dealer install Indian heated grips? If so, can you tell me what parts, part numbers and cost is involved?

Ride safe,

Wiz
I've recently added heated grips to my '14 Chieftain. The grips, harness, switch, etc, are the same as the ones on the Roadmaster. Pricey, but they work great and the switch installs on tank top and looks stock. Dealer installed and I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm afraid to ask, what is the cost of parts and installation?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Parts were $330 or so. Embarrassed that I'm not sure about the labor, because both parts and labor for the grips were included in the purchase price of the bike. They told me I had already paid for the labor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to the dealer I bought the bike from. He had been told by Indian that the heated grips were not available for the Chieftain. To his credit, I'm sure that was true when he checked. The factory said there was an ecu flash that needed to be created for the grips. When I talked with him yesterday and gave him the parts required list, he investigated and found out the flash was now ready from Indian. He is installing my grips for me befroe delivery of the bike. It will be exactly as the Roadmaster. Cost including installation/tax is under $450.00. A lot of money, but at my age, warm hands are a blessing. Now if the snow would just leave Minnesota!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Talked to the dealer I bought the bike from. He had been told by Indian that the heated grips were not available for the Chieftain. To his credit, I'm sure that was true when he checked. The factory said there was an ecu flash that needed to be created for the grips. When I talked with him yesterday and gave him the parts required list, he investigated and found out the flash was now ready from Indian. He is installing my grips for me befroe delivery of the bike. It will be exactly as the Roadmaster. Cost including installation/tax is under $450.00. A lot of money, but at my age, warm hands are a blessing. Now if the snow would just leave Minnesota!
Good move, Wiz. The grips and heated seat REALLY do a great job and are greatly appreciated, as you say, at my age. You'll enjoy them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I added them... well worth it!! I have been riding with temps just above freezing all the way up to the 60's..... warmer days bare handed with just the heated grips on..... no problems at all.

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
What gloves do you wear at 32 degrees, satman? Hands still warm for long rides, without heated gloves? My hands get cold easily but your post gives me hope. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I have heated gloves and vest that plug into my trickle charger pigtail installed by the dealer. I usually just wear the heated vest. Once you get your core warm I usually find I can just wear regular gauntlet gloves unless it is really cold. (even with Reynauds phenomenon) Once it gets really cold I wear the heated gloves ( or I put the bike away)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wlz, I have a 2014 Chieftain purchased in Oct. 2014. My hubs installed the heated grips using the following parts ordered by my dealer (Rollin Fast in Lebanon, NJ)
Left hand grip 5139627
Right hand grip 513628
Wiring harness 2412963
Switch 4014105
He ended up returning the wiring harness as the existing wires were long enough. It took him a couple of hours, and he said it was a pain in the a$$, so you may want to have your dealer install. I have seen a coment about having to get a "flash". Mine worked fine without it. I ride in the winter and these heated grips are a must for me. Well worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wlz, I have a 2014 Chieftain purchased in Oct. 2014. My hubs installed the heated grips using the following parts ordered by my dealer (Rollin Fast in Lebanon, NJ)
Left hand grip 5139627
Right hand grip 513628
Wiring harness 2412963
Switch 4014105
He ended up returning the wiring harness as the existing wires were long enough. It took him a couple of hours, and he said it was a pain in the a$$, so you may want to have your dealer install. I have seen a coment about having to get a "flash". Mine worked fine without it. I ride in the winter and these heated grips are a must for me. Well worth it. Good luck.
Laural,

One question, Does your grip heat setting (1-10) show up on the display between the tach and speedo? I thought that might be what the flash was required for.

Thanks for the p/n info!

Wiz

·
Registered
221 Posts
Laural,

One question, Does your grip heat setting (1-10) show up on the display between the tach and speedo? I thought that might be what the flash was required for.

Thanks for the p/n info!

Wiz
Yes, the display for the heat settings came right up as soon as hit the switch.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a pair of gauntlet style gloves that I wear. They have thinsulate in the top of the glove and just leather in the palm. I don't get cold with them on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Left hand grip 5139627
Right hand grip 513628
Wiring harness 2412963
Switch 4014105
Hello I just ordered the heated grips for my 2014 chieftain. I would appreciate any information you cen give me on the installation.
Thank You

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello I just ordered the heated grips for my 2014 chieftain. I would appreciate any information you cen give me on the installation.
Thank You
All of the wiring is inside of the bar ends. You'll need to remove the grip assemblies and raise up the center console to access the harness and install the switch. The plugs in the bar ends are tricky.....cut some wire...coat hanger is what was used on my bike, to fish and then hold the plug (bend it into a 8 inch long U shape with the wires about 1/2 inch apart and then you'll have to use a pick or something to guide the grip end plug into the plug inside the bars that you're holding with this U shaped tool you just made...think surgeon like, you want to be able to hold the plug inside the bar and push the grip plug into it. After you get it all connected it'll just work, display will show up when you hit the button and then you adjust heat....8 will be too hot for bare hands...these things work great. Hopefully what I said makes sense.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,659 Posts
I was interested in heated grips but with the Stock style grips my hands fell asleep.
Wished they would have upgraded the grips to a softer more deluxe grip.
Avon makes heated grips for Indian. A lot better grip and softer. The install scared me they require you to drill hole in your bars to route the cable. Then of course you can't use the nice integrated switch on tank and won't display on dash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All of the wiring is inside of the bar ends. You'll need to remove the grip assemblies and raise up the center console to access the harness and install the switch. The plugs in the bar ends are tricky.....cut some wire...coat hanger is what was used on my bike, to fish and then hold the plug (bend it into a 8 inch long U shape with the wires about 1/2 inch apart and then you'll have to use a pick or something to guide the grip end plug into the plug inside the bars that you're holding with this U shaped tool you just made...think surgeon like, you want to be able to hold the plug inside the bar and push the grip plug into it. After you get it all connected it'll just work, display will show up when you hit the button and then you adjust heat....8 will be too hot for bare hands...these things work great. Hopefully what I said makes sense.
I looked at this the other day - the plug is half-way inside the bar, and the wiring is tight (i.e. there is no give in it whatsoever). So basically you self-built some tools to hold the plug inside the bar while you plugged in the heated grip ? How hard was that to do ??

1 - 20 of 63 Posts