Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I popped a new pair of kicker speakers into my Chieftain, pretty cut and dry stuff just plug and play. But now I’m getting an err code that says “the left hand control thermistor fault, either open circuited or shorted”.
corrective action : check heated grip wiring for defects

I don’t have heated grips nor did I do anything grip related, as for in the fairing all I did was unplug old speakers, plug in new speakers.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If you turn on your heated grips, do they work? It is possible that the grip itself failed, coincidentally, at the same time that you installed the speaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you turn on your heated grips, do they work? It is possible that the grip itself failed, coincidentally, at the same time that you installed the speaker.
That’s just it, I don’t have heated grips.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
That’s just it, I don’t have heated grips.
Ok, that's strange. At this point, I would take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to Digital Wrench and see why it is throwing a code for something that you don't have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that's strange. At this point, I would take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to Digital Wrench and see why it is throwing a code for something that you don't have.
It’s going in in the 1st for its 5k service. will have em check it out then.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It’s going in in the 1st for its 5k service. will have em check it out then.
View attachment 638177 View attachment 638178
Good. I don't recall off the top of my head if the bikes come pre-wired for heated grips, but I do know that the grips connect to the harness at the grip end of the bars, the harness runs through the bars and connects to two separate 2-wire plugs behind the headlight, and those two plugs go to the VCU for power and switchology. I can't see how replacing the speakers would cause that code, even if you had heated grips, as they are separate wiring harnesses. The only thing that I can think of that could POSSIBLY cause it would be that the stereo controls are in the left hand control cube. So, if you had the grips w/ harness' installed, and the wires in the cube and harness had shorted together, then it could throw a code like that...but if that were the case you should also see stereo issues, or other control-related issues from the other shorted wire.

Reactions: Blitz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts