Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had the same problem, here in South Florida. My first, and cheapest solution was Capt. Itch Crotch Cooler. It helped a lot, but I needed more heat relief. Here was my solution...
Go to DEI's website. They make a 12" X 4" pad, in either onyx or titanium color.
It comes with brackets attached to have an air space between the header and the insulating pad. It also comes with 2 radiator-style clamps to fasten it to the header pipe. The problem was solved. You can do the work yourself, and the solution cost less than $200.
I have rode hours in blistering Florida heat, and when I stop, I can touch that pad with my bare hand and not burn myself.
Good luck, and safe riding.
Seeya!
Thanks. That had been recommended in a riding group but so many reviews of the product say the gromets/studs pull out right away. No problem for you?

·
Senior member / gold
6,749 Posts
Thanks. That had been recommended in a riding group but so many reviews of the product say the gromets/studs pull out right away. No problem for you?
I had it on my pipe for at least 2 years with no problem. Just make sure the brackets are not cocked at a weird angle, because the tighter you draw the clamp in, the more tension and pressure that will be put on the screws, studs, and grommets.
The reason I removed mine was that I finally had enough money to put True Duals on, and a cam in. I kept the Crotch Cooler on though, because I love the look.

Just a sidenote...
When I removed the DEI insulator, I used the same 2 or 3 year old insulator down on the lower R.H. pipe, just in front of the muffler to keep me from burning my leg at a stop, when my foot is planted on the road or ground. Works great!

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
I did ask my 3 dealers & they said no.
Gutting the catholic converter and reinstalling it will result in the single biggest improvement in reducing felt heat for rider and passenger. When the job is done, the exhaust system appears BONE STOCK and the exhaust note barely changes, if you stick with the OEM mufflers.
Find an independent wrench who'll work on the bike. Removing the mufflers and headers is BASIC wrenching. Any good mechanic can do the swap if even if he's never heard of an Indian. And always use new header gaskets on the installation any time the headers are removed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Pipe tape may corrode your pipes and exhaust in wet weather. My experience is limited to me...............
Please explain how the exhaust pipes heat didn't keep your wrap dry. In all of my years of wrapping, the pipes are still too hot to touch when I park the bike.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts