Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the latest advice on reducing the heat off the right side of the bike (111). I've been told to gut the cat & install true duals. Unfortunately in California this is illegal & the dealers won't do the work. I have highway pegs to position my legs away from the bike & Kuryakyn heat shields but when the temp is over 80 they are useless. I have to park the bike for several months every summer. p.s I've had to trike the bike due to bad knees so also have reduced air flow with the 2 rear tires/fenders.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just put the Captin Itch crotch cooler on both our bikes and it made a big difference! Stop and go traffic in 92-98 degree heat was much better. Was skeptical at first, now I am a believer!

·
Bronze member
1,939 Posts
I live in SoCal, ditched the cat within the 1st 4 months. Way cooler temps. I personally would never want to go back to stock. Every now and then there's a set of gutted headers (no cat) here on the for sale/wanted section. Maybe put a wanted post there, worth a shot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What's the latest advice on reducing the heat off the right side of the bike (111). I've been told to gut the cat & install true duals. Unfortunately in California this is illegal & the dealers won't do the work. I have highway pegs to position my legs away from the bike & Kuryakyn heat shields but when the temp is over 80 they are useless. I have to park the bike for several months every summer. p.s I've had to trike the bike due to bad knees so also have reduced air flow with the 2 rear tires/fenders.
I live in Nor Cal and I know for a fact that the dealers up here will install true duals and catless headers. They may not remove the cat from the stock header for you but they will tell you who will.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wrapped mine and it made a huge difference. Some people think it will cause the pipe to rust due to retaining moisture. I find it hard to believe though that a pipes heat doesn't keep it dry. I suspect the people that made the negative comments had done it to cover pipes that were already in bad shape. I've been doing it for over 3
Heatwrap3.jpg
0 years on various vehicles with new pipes/metal and never had issues.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I second the header wrap and Captain Itch. After those two mods I rode to Vegas during the summer with no problems

Reactions: California Girl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Nor Cal and I know for a fact that the dealers up here will install true duals and catless headers. They may not remove the cat from the stock header for you but they will tell you who will.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I did ask my 3 dealers & they said no.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wrapped mine and it made a huge difference. Some people think it will cause the pipe to rust due to retaining moisture. I find it hard to believe though that a pipes heat doesn't keep it dry. I suspect the people that made the negative comments had done it to cover pipes that were already in bad shape. I've been doing it for over 3 View attachment 600489 0 years on various vehicles with new pipes/metal and never had issues.
Thanks. 2 dealers said the wrap makes no difference! Glad to know it's worked for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in SoCal, ditched the cat within the 1st 4 months. Way cooler temps. I personally would never want to go back to stock. Every now and then there's a set of gutted headers (no cat) here on the for sale/wanted section. Maybe put a wanted post there, worth a shot.
Thanks. I'll see how to do a wanted post.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I second the suggestion of the Capt Itch crotch cooler. Works for me here in steamy and humid South Carolina.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed my CAT and wrapped my header pipe from the Y to where it meets the pipe that goes under the bike with header heat wrap i got from autozone. just don't put too much on or you will not get chrome cover back on. it helped a lot with heat

·
Registered
396 Posts
voodoo air intake, zombie tabs, Craig's custom tune and captain itch. There is still heat in stop and go traffic during summer here in Chicago but very tolerable with my current combination.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I removed my CAT and wrapped my header pipe from the Y to where it meets the pipe that goes under the bike with header heat wrap i got from autozone. just don't put too much on or you will not get chrome cover back on. it helped a lot with heat
Nice solution. What is the best wrap to buy?

·
Registered
491 Posts
This is the same product I used. You want to get it wet before wrapping. It helps a lot. I only overlapped a 1/2". Pull it tight !! I had some stainless steel wire that I used to tie it off with. When I bought mine, it did not come with the metal zip ties. When you first start bike and its getting hot, its going to smoke and stink like hell. But it goes away fairly quick. Titanium Exhaust Heat Wrap Roll Fiberglass Heat Shield Header 2"*50FT For Dei US | eBay

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Cali Girl, Getting rid of the kitty, changing pipes and changing the headers is the best mechanical way to kill the heat; it costs too much and is worth it because then you end up changing the intake and maybe the cams then getting it tuned. When I lived in California, you didn't have to get bikes smogged. Has that changed?
The heat shields seem to keep the rear cylinder hotter than usual. Pipe tape may corrode your pipes and exhaust in wet weather. My experience is limited to me...............
it's 109 here today, The heat can suck you dry..........

·
Senior member / gold
6,749 Posts
I had the same problem, here in South Florida. My first, and cheapest solution was Capt. Itch Crotch Cooler. It helped a lot, but I needed more heat relief. Here was my solution...
Go to DEI's website. They make a 12" X 4" pad, in either onyx or titanium color.
It comes with brackets attached to have an air space between the header and the insulating pad. It also comes with 2 radiator-style clamps to fasten it to the header pipe. The problem was solved. You can do the work yourself, and the solution cost less than $200.
I have rode hours in blistering Florida heat, and when I stop, I can touch that pad with my bare hand and not burn myself.
Good luck, and safe riding.
Seeya!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts