Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I took the Vintage out last night to rack up some miles before the weekend. We want to do the 500 mile service tomorrow, so our partner can take off to Colorado next week with out worrying about the service. While this bike does not fit me very well at 5 foot 8, it fits him pretty good. (I'd need the seat a little closer to the bars/foot boards)
It was 65 degrees when we took off wearing our jackets with gloves and other gear stowed in the bags. After dinner it dropped fairly rapidly down to 55 degrees and got a little cool for just the jackets. At almost the end of the ride, the wife had her gloves on but was freezing. I stopped for a quick smoke break to let her warm up and I told her to just put her hands on the motor (she still had her gloves on) she said it ain't working, so I touched the rocker cover and sure enough after over 100 mile ride the top of the motor was not too hot to hold my bare hand on!
Now I've heard of heat problems out of these, but I'm going to guess that it was from bikes that had not gotten the stage one upgrade on the pipes and ECM.
Even with my smaller frame compared to the bike, it is still a pure pleasure to rack up the miles on this one! (we're 1/2 way to the 500 mile service)
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I rode a Vintage on my demo ride on an eighty degree day and I also
thought the engine ran very cool. I think most of the complaints
have come from Chieftains and on warmer days. My guess is the fairing
is trapping some of the heat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read in Criuser Magazine (name may be wrong) the Indian engine has a vanity cover over the actual one with an air space inbetween. All to cut down valve train noise and radiant heat. Looks like it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts