Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while riding I heard a funny noise like something shooting around inside rear fender. When I stopped, I checked and sure enough, two of the three tail-light bolts, up in the fender, were GONE! Luckily the top most bolt was still there so I was able to tighten it by hand and then borrow a buddy's crescent wrench to tighten it properly. Called the dealer (they were open on Sunday... cool) and they looked up on the microfiche that the bolts are M6-10 bolts.... went to Lowe's and got stainless M6-16s, washers and LOCKWASHERS. Being a previous Harley rider I will install lockwashers AND blue Loctite...... Hey Indian: How about some loctite on bolts or lock washers or both....? I think I had mentioned before the scarcity of any bolt retention hardware on my Chief Classic...... maybe y'all might want to check your taillight bolts. I don't know if the factory installed the taillight or it was dealer assembled......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks, Another heads up is the bolt sleeve combo (almost like a shoulder bolt) on either side of the adjustable windshield mechanism. While getting gasoline this past weekend I noticed one of these bolts and sleeve's laying in the cowling below the windshield. When I tried to re-install I discovered that it was stripped. I, also went to Lowes and got a small ny-loc nut and installed it on that small bolt. (Luckily the original bolt combo is just long enough for this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another heads up are the speaker bolts in the fairing. I had a rattle and one speaker was totally loose and all the bolts were gone. The other speaker was being held in place by one bolt. Trip the the hardware store and blue loctite, all is well, no more rattle.
Skully#305

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Dude when I first saw this I thought you were going to say someone stole them.
Had 45 bullets on my old police bike holding the plate on. I used lock washers & lock tight to keep from losing them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Blue Locktite will always be your friend, if you don't want to lose parts...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Do they still have the "Bronson Rock" available for the HD? remember that TV show? That rock could repair anything from bent tubes or a trashed fender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts