Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't forget when riding in winter/spring to look out for the sand build up. DOTs dump sand/salt mixes when iced over and then when the weather clears all that mixture sits around in intersections and corners til the sweeper get out to clean it. Pretty heavy in spots here in West Texas but they are out sweeping it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Breeze,
Very interesting to me - I'm used to all the salt and chemicals put on the roads in the North East and Midwest and other more northern locales, but I wouldn't have expected it so much in Texas. One learns something new every day - if they're lucky! :D

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Hi Breeze,
Very interesting to me - I'm used to all the salt and chemicals put on the roads in the North East and Midwest and other more northern locales, but I wouldn't have expected it so much in Texas. One learns something new every day - if they're lucky! :D
Well, Texas is a big place, and altitudes vary from sea level on the Gulf Coast to mountains over 8,000 feet in West Texas. There's a reason the place Breeze lives is called Alpine. Just west of Alpine, Presidio, at the south end of Presidio County on the Mexican border, has streets lined with palm trees and often goes all winter long without seeing a freeze. Marfa, at the north end of the county, a little over 60 miles away, is at the same altitude as Denver, Colorado. I live in the east end of the Chinati mountain range between them; Chinati Peak is 7,830 feet.
--- Randall

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,830 Posts
But remember, we don't get much rain to wash the stuff off either. It can some years go well into summer before they get around to running a brush over it which just spreads it out again anyway. You learn to never trust a turn here unless you've traveled it several times.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Well, Texas is a big place, and altitudes vary from sea level on the Gulf Coast to mountains over 8,000 feet in West Texas. There's a reason the place Breeze lives is called Alpine. Just west of Alpine, Presidio, at the south end of Presidio County on the Mexican border, has streets lined with palm trees and often goes all winter long without seeing a freeze. Marfa, at the north end of the county, a little over 60 miles away, is at the same altitude as Denver, Colorado. I live in the east end of the Chinati mountain range between them; Chinati Peak is 7,830 feet.
--- Randall
I love it when people in Texas brag about their peaks. Your highest paved road 6800, we have paved roads over 14,000 feet. My house is at 9000 ft, they use more sand/gravel than salt.
Marfa altitude 4685
Denver altitude. 5280
I was a Texan for 50 years my stories were full of it too.
Now that I live above Woodland Park (8478 ft by the way) I am just as full of it just a lot happier?:p

·
2,049 Posts
Howdy Caveman,
I don't pretend that Texas can compete with the high Rockies for altitude, but we do have mountains and they are sometimes snow-capped, and the country around them snow-covered, if only for days rather than months. I love to ride in Colorado during the summer when temps in the Big Bend are hitting 116 and 120, but you are welcome to the long cold winters. My mother lived in Leadville, Colorado, at 10,000 feet, for five years; snow on the ground from October to May. I'll take the 71 degrees we had in Presidio today.

I apologize for the incorrect elevation comparison regarding Marfa and Denver, I should have checked my facts before posting. It is something I've heard many times, but I should have checked. As I'm sure you know from your sojourn among us, neither I nor any other Texan would ever indulge in any kind of exaggeration or embellishment of the plain facts unless it substantially improved the story.
--- Randall

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Howdy Caveman,
I don't pretend that Texas can compete with the high Rockies for altitude, but we do have mountains and they are sometimes snow-capped, and the country around them snow-covered, if only for days rather than months. I love to ride in Colorado during the summer when temps in the Big Bend are hitting 116 and 120, but you are welcome to the long cold winters. My mother lived in Leadville, Colorado, at 10,000 feet, for five years; snow on the ground from October to May. I'll take the 71 degrees we had in Presidio today.

I apologize for the incorrect elevation comparison regarding Marfa and Denver, I should have checked my facts before posting. It is something I've heard many times, but I should have checked. As I'm sure you know from your sojourn among us, neither I nor any other Texan would ever indulge in any kind of exaggeration or embellishment of the plain facts unless it substantially improved the story.
--- Randall
I like to say "based on facts".
But I never let facts stand in the way of a good story.

Reactions: builder

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
As I'm sure you know from your sojourn among us, neither I nor any other Texan would ever indulge in any kind of exaggeration or embellishment of the plain facts unless it substantially improved the story.
--- Randall
Randall
The problem with posting is you can't see the smile on my face as I am writing it.
I was born at Fort Hood, spent most my life near Texarkana, for five years did two weeks every year at Buffalo trails scout ranch in W.TX. Texas has snow, ice, and everything In between. Your point was to enlighten this person that Texas is not like the John Wayne movies I get that. Being an old Texan we believe in the 10% rule. 10% of the story has to be true the rest maybe embellishment. Makes for a better story.
No harm meant just messing with other old Texan. Happy Trails my friend

·
2,049 Posts
It cool, man, as the saying goes, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!"
--- Randall

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi from Denver this weekend was beautiful and Yes there's a lot of sand on our roads .I ride when the temp get's up past 45 so the morning is as low as 20 plus wind chill is below -1 but I love the ride

·
Registered
274 Posts
After spending 5 years in Hawaii in the Army, I was transferred to Ft. Polk in 92'. I stopped off in Beaumont (just north) to meet up with an old roommate and some other buddies. We went deer hunting on Thanksgiving morning. It was 22 fricken degrees out and snowy. IN TEXAS??? I was young and not as smart as I thought I was, but I was floored that it got that cold. IN TEXAS!!!! I was too used to the beach and sun.

·
Registered
448 Posts
After spending 5 years in Hawaii in the Army, I was transferred to Ft. Polk in 92'. I stopped off in Beaumont (just north) to meet up with an old roommate and some other buddies. We went deer hunting on Thanksgiving morning. It was 22 fricken degrees out and snowy. IN TEXAS??? I was young and not as smart as I thought I was, but I was floored that it got that cold. IN TEXAS!!!! I was too used to the beach and sun.
I live in Beaumont California and we have gotten snow here. Still can't believe snow in southern California either. Temps do get into the low 30's and occasionally into the 20's at night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts