Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first headlight modulator in 1982 and I have had them installed on every motorcycle that I have owned since.
I want to try a different style of modulator this time, I made the mistake of buying one that had a 3 second delay from going from the low beam to the high beam.

This was WAY too long a delay when using it as a "Visual Horn"!

3 seconds is a lifetime when your needing to signal an offending intruder vehicle. LOL!

I have a email sent into Motorcycle Headlight Modulator by Bike Index.
I am waiting for their return mail with info about if they have a delay programed into their modulator program.
http://www.comagination.com/modBike.htm
In the meantime has anyone used these before?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I have seen motorcycle brake lights that pulse, is that the same type of thing?

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
No offense meant but I can't stand the things. It's rude and obnoxious to other motorists. It's a aggressive signal that should be used in a true emergency situation. Just think how confusing it would be if we all rode along with cars and trucks and bikes lights flashing.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I can definitely see using the brake light ones, because motorcycle tail lights are small compared to auto multiple brake lights.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense meant but I can't stand the things. It's rude and obnoxious to other motorists. It's a aggressive signal that should be used in a true emergency situation. Just think how confusing it would be if we all rode along with cars and trucks and bikes lights flashing.
I would rather be rude and obnoxious than run over and it is well documented for years that the headlight modulators work well, and motorcycles are the only vehicles that are allowed to use them legally in every state in the USA!
I have many personal examples of it working to fully convince me to not be without them any longer than it takes to get them installed.
Other vehicles see you and react accordingly!

I'm probably in the minority, but when I pull up behind someone at a red light or stop sign I switch to the low beam until I start moving again.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Haven't used the headlight modulator, but seen them (how could NOT).
Bought a set of deceleration warning lights waiting for the scout to come in. Better than the flashing brake lights.
Vololights.com

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
For each his own. I will flash my headlight manually when needed.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, wasn't sure.
Sorry to be so curt with my post a while ago elrod, but I was in a nine-line-bind over something else so I posted as little as possible to answer you without being totally impolite. :)

Now that I now have more time to politely expand on your question a little more.... Brake light modulators only work when brakes are activated and mostly in a short duration time and then act as normal brake lights and stay on.

Headlight modulators operate legally only on the High beam and go off when low beam is selected or when the light level goes below a set level as it gets dark and shut off automatically through a light sensor.

I use mine full time in the day time on the highway or in two lane congested traffic and in other area's, like rural travel, I use it like a 'visual horn' and turn it on only to flash and inform other vehicles of my presence.

Example: a car on my right side pulling out from a side street will get my visual horn before it becomes a problem for either of us.

It goes WAY further down the road to inform than your horn ever could! :)

I slow down while turning it on and leave it on until the other vehicle notices me and favorably reacts to me then I shut it off again.

I hope I have helped you see how modulators work as I use them? :)

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Yep, cleared that up. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: RBinTEX

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I would rather be rude and obnoxious than run over and it is well documented for years that the headlight modulators work well, and motorcycles are the only vehicles that are allowed to use them legally in every state in the USA!
I have many personal examples of it working to fully convince me to not be without them any longer than it takes to get them installed.

I'm probably in the minority, but when I pull up behind someone at a red light or stop sign I switch to the low beam until I start moving again.
Hey, I admit I know nothing about the light mods so I will shut up. I hope you have some bubble gum on hand. Haha.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts

One of our riders had the modulator & on long trips at night we made him ride in front. We could not stand to have him behind us.
It is a personal choice as long as you don't place too much faith in it.

I always keep in my mind all cages are trying to kill me, has worked well for 40 riding years.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ne of our riders had the modulator & on long trips at night we made him ride in front. We could not stand to have him behind us.
It is a personal choice as long as you don't place too much faith in it.

I always keep in my mind all cages are trying to kill me, has worked well for 40 riding years.
Very sound advise Caveman, In our Tall City Road Riders club when there are a group of us only the lead bike uses the modulators. The rest of us keep them off unless we need them for my aforementioned "Visual Horn" feature! :)

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, I admit I know nothing about the light mods so I will shut up. I hope you have some bubble gum on hand. Haha.
Had to give up the bubble gum... found out that I cant chew it, walk and fart at the same time! LOL!
I hope your having a good a day as I have had today. Managed to get in about 80 miles on the new bike today!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Very sound advise Caveman, In our Tall City Road Riders club when there are a group of us only the lead bike uses the modulators. The rest of us keep them off unless we need them for my aforementioned "Visual Horn" feature! :)
I didn't know you could switch them off? That makes me interested. When I lived in Mansfield TX I rode to Dallas VA almost year around ( my work). I would have like to had them for city driving. I put on two very loud air horns, save my azz many times over.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Had to give up the bubble gum... found out that I cant chew it, walk and fart at the same time! LOL!
I hope your having a good a day as I have had today. Managed to get in about 80 miles on the new bike today!
Thanks, finished Christmas shopping I hope. Good to hear you got to ride. What was the weather? Can you ride year round?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Obnoxious gets you noticed and might keep you alive, especially with the leading cause of death left turning cars.

Reactions: RSV2007 and RBinTEX

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't know you could switch them off? That makes me interested. When I lived in Mansfield TX I rode to Dallas VA almost year around ( my work). I would have like to had them for city driving. I put on two very loud air horns, save my azz many times over.
Oh yeah, they only work on high beam and can be shut entirely off by going to low beam. Some models have off switches too!
There is also a light sensor that shuts the modulator down automatically when it gets darker. Yeah, I have to do SOMETHING about that sick wiener horn on the Scout. I can't even hear it past 40 when honked, I don't know how it could intimidate a car or truck? LOL!
I had two of the Wolo twin air horns on the ST-1100 that I sold a few months back. One of my ST-1100's had a 100 watt siren system on it.
Ronnie's Big Red.jpg

See my mail box in the back ground doing a wheelie?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts