Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founding member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2014 Chieftain and the blue headlight icon on the dash keeps fading in and out. I have never noticed this before, I don't know if this is a fault but it does not reset when the bike is turned off then back on. The headlights work both hi and low beams but when you switch to high beam the driving lights flicker once when you switch. The icon stays lit all the time. I had the recall done last year for the headlight and just about 3 weeks ago the gear position switch was replaced. Did anyone else have a similar problem and if so what was the fix? I'm thinking about getting a new bulb and trying that first.
Thanks
Tom

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Most dash lights these days are not replaceable globes but LEDs that are soldered to a printed circuit board. If that's the case for the Chieftain it might indicate that the problem is somewhere in the control system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had the recalls (headlight & gear position) done on mine and the headlight icon started flashing on mine. I swapped out a good LED headlight and it’s still doing the same thing. I’m going to look for the stock headlight today and put it on and see if it still does it. If it does, then something else I have to check. I just don’t remember if it was doing it when I dropped off the bike for the recall work.

·
Founding member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, still waiting for a fix on mine. Polaris states they are working on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had the recalls (headlight & gear position) done on mine and the headlight icon started flashing on mine. I swapped out a good LED headlight and it’s still doing the same thing. I’m going to look for the stock headlight today and put it on and see if it still does it. If it does, then something else I have to check. I just don’t remember if it was doing it when I dropped off the bike for the recall work.
So yesterday I swapped out the LED and reinstalled the OEM headlight assembly with the halogen bulb. The flashing high beam indicator went away and both beams worked accordingly. I think I have an idea as to what happened to mine. When they did the recall, they may have forgotten to reflash the VCM (I think that’s the right computer). They had to do that when I first tried to install a LED headlight. Those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So yesterday I swapped out the LED and reinstalled the OEM headlight assembly with the halogen bulb. The flashing high beam indicator went away and both beams worked accordingly. I think I have an idea as to what happened to mine. When they did the recall, they may have forgotten to reflash the VCM (I think that’s the right computer). They had to do that when I first tried to install a LED headlight. Those are my thoughts.
What I've been told the 2014 VCM will not except led, I've had the same problem after the dealer flashed for gear recall now I have constant flashing hi beam indicator

·
Registered
31 Posts
What I've been told the 2014 VCM will not except led, I've had the same problem after the dealer flashed for gear recall now I have constant flashing hi beam indicator
Yes that is true but I had been using the LED Lights since late 2014. My dealer flashed it once and it worked! Until they did the recall and since then I have reinstalled the OEM halogen and the headlight “idiot light” (hey, I’m old as dirt!😂) is constantly flashing! I’ve had my dealer look into that because this should not happen with OEM parts and I don’t like spending for unnecessary parts when it was working great. So at this time, I’m still waiting on my dealer to inform me as to what Polaris plans to do about this.

This is the first “real” problem I have had about this bike. I was so hesitant about taking this in for the recall as I have read about this before going for the recall. I should’ve just kept it and not go. Too late now. So it’s up to Polaris from this point on.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
In the "for what its worth" column, I just had the blinking high beam indicator issue on my '17 DH Chieftain. Couldn't figure it out. Then one time I started it and, apparently had left the high beam on when I had previously shut down. This time, the high beam indicator stayed on as it was supposed to. When I flipped it back to low, it started blinking again.

So I replaced the bulb, Sylvania SilverStar, and now it's working as expected. I had replaced the OEM bulb to the SilverStar a little over a year ago.

I don't have a clue as why it started blinking, but, if I have to spend $25 every year or so to have decent headlight, I'm not unhappy.

BD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't know if this would be helpful... I replaced the stock headlight on my Challenger recently (Eagle LED). The 3-prong plug on the headlight didn't want to stay plugged into the bike's power plug. I thought about bending the plug blades a little but, but ultimately decided not to... pushed it up into the cavity in the fairing and everything worked. A few weeks later on a daytrip, I got the blue "high beam" flashing signal. My wife passed me and reported that my headlights weren't on at all. When I got home, sure enough, the plug was slightly loose/not plugged in all the way. I bent the prongs slightly, plugged it in, and then rigged up a little "harness" using tie wraps to keep them together. The flashing symbol is gone and the headlight works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts