Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight on my 2014 Classic has been acting erratic the last few weeks. Sometimes it is on, sometimes it won't come on. At first I was getting fault code 2350 over 5: short in low beam. Shop tech reflashed electrical unit and it worked that day. Went on long ride today, headlight would not work from the start, but this time no fault code, only flashing blue high beam indicator. After 80 miles stopped for fuel, shut bike off, restarted , headlight worked. A few miles down the road, quit working, indicator flashing. 100 miles later still flashing. The problem is the Tech said he had done everything he knew to do! So, am turning to the Forum. Maybe somebody out there has had this problem and hopefully a solution...

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Start at the headlights for ground connections and work your way back.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The bike's system will change to the bright side of the bulb if the normal filament goes out. I would check both the ground connection for the headlight as well as confirming both your bulb filaments are operational. Some have found both filaments out when they changed bulbs as they didn't know they switched circuits when one goes out.

Perhaps both or 1 filament is intermittent on your bulb, did your tech change out bulbs? It could be in your programming but I haven't heard of a problem with that yet. Your tech stating he has done everything he knew to do is a real cop out... You can't run a bike without lights so your tech should be getting with Indian tech support to learn what he doesn't know and then fix what needs to be fixed. Just my opinion.

·
Founding member
1,048 Posts
I called Rob Gregory, Joe, my dealer, and read your post to him. He immediately said that the system is working since it switched to brights and that you should check the low beam filament. He said it could have broken and is sometimes still making contact. I asked if it would fall away if broken and he said no, it is sodered on both ends and will hold in place. Hey, lets hope that is the issue. Good luck and please let us know. I just read MillChief's post and he seems to be on the same thought wave. Let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The headlight on my 2014 Classic has been acting erratic the last few weeks. Sometimes it is on, sometimes it won't come on. At first I was getting fault code 2350 over 5: short in low beam. Shop tech reflashed electrical unit and it worked that day. Went on long ride today, headlight would not work from the start, but this time no fault code, only flashing blue high beam indicator. After 80 miles stopped for fuel, shut bike off, restarted , headlight worked. A few miles down the road, quit working, indicator flashing. 100 miles later still flashing. The problem is the Tech said he had done everything he knew to do! So, am turning to the Forum. Maybe somebody out there has had this problem and hopefully a solution...
Im having a similar problem. I contacted a fellow rider who had the same problem. Also contact my dealership and they are GOOD. They told me this has been showing up and that they believe it is a harness problem. If it not the bulb going bad it is the harness. They asked me to bring it by so they could hook it up and they would be able to tell at that time. They will probably have to order the harness. Until then I can ride on low beam. COOL.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the wiring harness, Polaris replaced it. Tech said even though the headlight burned periodically, if you run it like that, you run the risk of the entire elect. system shutting down...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know how he arrived at the solution, but when he disconnected the harness from the processing unit you could see the scorch marks on the connectors...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Happened on mine last summer.... bike was down 3 weeks..... on the up side, my '14 Chieftain was one of the first '14s with the alarm system as they put in a new '16 VCM.

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
Don't know how he arrived at the solution, but when he disconnected the harness from the processing unit you could see the scorch marks on the connectors...
Happened on mine last summer.... bike was down 3 weeks..... on the up side, my '14 Chieftain was one of the first '14s with the alarm system as they put in a new '16 VCM.
Thanks for the info!! Sincerely hope I'm not down that long, would hate to miss this unseasonably warm riding weather!!

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Now this is where we created a thread in the general section to advise for folks to inspect this connector, and advise preventive maintenance.
Being the head light and all....

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
UPDATE: Diagnosis revealed a bad VCM. Covered by Factory Service Contract (warranty).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just had that same problem a few weeks ago at Biketoberfest. It would intermittently flash and then work fine on the next ride. Heads up! your headlight will not be lit when this happens. Don't ride at night.
Took it to the dealership, it was a short in the wiring and messes up the electrical module. Indian replaced the main wiring harness and the electrical module for free. It's a big job, to replace the wiring harness the engine needs to be dropped.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Please! please! please!.. take pictures of this harness and where it cooks..
This is important stuff here.. and knowledge of, should be easy to find.. and should be distributed.. BEFORE stuff goes south.
On my SV the forum created nomenclature called "the green connector of death"
This connector was notorious for melting.
And when it did.. everything goes dark..
Sometimes while running,, sometimes when starting... but never, gave warning.. just darkness.. no engine, no electricity.. just Dark...
So every new member joining that forum, or anyone asking about common mods,, all start with "have you removed the green connector of death..
So by the first day of research, or ownership, or joining forum, you knew of a safety issue, that must be dealt with, and how to de alb with it...
This IMHO, should be dealt with as such..

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
Please! please! please!.. take pictures of this harness and where it cooks..
This is important stuff here.. and knowledge of, should be easy to find.. and should be distributed.. BEFORE stuff goes south.
On my SV the forum created nomenclature called "the green connector of death"
This connector was notorious for melting.
And when it did.. everything goes dark..
Sometimes while running,, sometimes when starting... but never, gave warning.. just darkness.. no engine, no electricity.. just Dark...
So every new member joining that forum, or anyone asking about common mods,, all start with "have you removed the green connector of death..
So by the first day of research, or ownership, or joining forum, you knew of a safety issue, that must be dealt with, and how to de alb with it...
This IMHO, should be dealt with as such..
There was no mention of the wiring harness, just a defective VCM. However, if they install the VCM and it happens again, maybe they'll look into the harness? You know how that "diagnosis by part replacement/process of elimination" thing works. LOL

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
There was no mention of the wiring harness, just a defective VCM. However, if they install the VCM and it happens again, maybe they'll look into the harness? You know how that "diagnosis by part replacement/process of elimination" thing works. LOL

I do! Lame-o! Lol.
I mention this, because there is another thread were folks are having the identical problem, but they are finding that the harness is cooking... could one be doing the other, or the other doing one if you catch my drift...It's seems reasonable to me, that an intermittent short/surge in a melting, or bad connection in a harness is a great way to cook electronics down the line..

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
I do! Lame-o! Lol.
I mention this, because there is another thread were folks are having the identical problem, but they are finding that the harness is cooking... could one be doing the other, or the other doing one if you catch my drift...It's seems reasonable to me, that an intermittent short/surge in a melting, or bad connection in a harness is a great way to cook electronics down the line..
Very true.

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
Can bus allows the wiring to be reduced in quantity and also the gauge of the wire which with copper is $$$. I'm surprised at how small some of these wires and connectors look. It would take much to melt them. Most circuits are monitoring the voltage so the predetermined threshholds might be too sensitive which would be a VCM firmware issue. Add battery voltage, regulator fluctuations the high tech electronics is going to report incorrect conditions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts