Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried or has replaced stock bulb in headlight to either a whole 7 inch led headlight or just install a led bulb, if so any problems taking things apart or with the ecm acting up? It's on a 16 Springfield. Thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMG_1127a.jpg

Just change out the whole light with a LED, got mine from fleaBay for $139. Cheaper if they say they are for a Jeep. Spot lights around $80. Perfect lights, so bright, even light across horizon. Plug and play.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would you provide a make or manufacturer so I can get the same ones you got?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
View attachment 41635
Just change out the whole light with a LED, got mine from fleaBay for $139. Cheaper if they say they are for a Jeep. Spot lights around $80. Perfect lights, so bright, even light across horizon. Plug and play.
very nice bike!!...where do you get the spot lights at and what about the brackets? also any modification needed to install the headlight?

·
Registered
33 Posts
very nice bike!!...where do you get the spot lights at and what about the brackets? also any modification needed to install the headlight?
The LED lights spotlights are from fleaBay also, $80. They fit into the Indian spotlight shells, no mod except to splice wiring. Headlight required mod with a pair of scissors or a pair of ***** to cut some plastics, about 15 seconds. Easy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The LED lights spotlights are from fleaBay also, $80. They fit into the Indian spotlight shells, no mod except to splice wiring. Headlight required mod with a pair of scissors or a pair of ***** to cut some plastics, about 15 seconds. Easy.
good info....so the spotlights i have to already have the factory ones installed? or do they sell just the bracket i need to put the lights in? i have the classic which doesnt come with anything extra

·
Registered
33 Posts
good info....so the spotlights i have to already have the factory ones installed? or do they sell just the bracket i need to put the lights in? i have the classic which doesnt come with anything extra
I just swapped out the bulbs with the ones that came stock in the housings. One for one swap, just the headlight. I had to buy the Indian spotlight kit and install it. If that is what you are asking.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I started to replace my stock hl w a JW Speaker evolution 2 7" CHROME.Its nice, but!

Having a fuch of a time getting the rack aligned and bolted in back in the main headlight housing. I had to cut the plastic shield as expected, no biggie w a **** and fiskar scissor. getting the holes to line up inside of that housing is a ***** w the windshield off. Did a Lowes run and scored 6 x1.0 metric bolts in 12 and 20 mm, well see how this goes tomm. It ain't plug n play ; there's 1 video that does NOT show the cage removal and re install.They just show chief bulb replacement.Cage meaning the bracket that holds the actual headlight is giving me hell getting the 4 6 mm bolts back in to it. Any and all suggestions welcome ( besides take it to the stealer ;) )

·
Registered
281 Posts
found these at lowes;
all 3 went in easier than the hex bolts, works great, found the bucket uses a helicoil type of insert that is fragile as betty whites sphincter.
also fwiw theres extra wiring inside the bucket for 12v switched ignition and other "stuff", now the good news is that headlight is the cats ass. its worth the extra coin to be seen by text messaging fools, if they think half of a 747 is coming at em..... mission accomplished..
image.jpeg

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, too bad we can't get the headlight out from the front by taking the headlight ring off, when I tried I kept dropping the little screws in the housing, wound up taking the front half of it off by the 4 screws in the back and the 1 on top.

·
Registered
281 Posts
image.jpeg
it would be nice but at least no one can swipe that bucket that easy, another thought is now that i have that bf headlight...... im gonna have to buy 2 road lights.... dammit more cowbell!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried or has replaced stock bulb in headlight to either a whole 7 inch led headlight or just install a led bulb, if so any problems taking things apart or with the ecm acting up? It's on a 16 Springfield. Thx
I just changed the headlight bulb from the rear. I used a Philips X-tremeVision 9003, 12V 60/55 W bulb. $13 on Amazon. When you turn the handlebars to the left you have access to the back of the bulb. There are a lot of wires directly behind the lamp so you cannot take it out. There is enough slack in all the wires and plugs to gently move them out of the way to give you access to the bulb. After you move the wires, pull the rubber boot off, note that it has a label "TOP", make sure to orient the boot correctly when you put it back. After the boot is out of the way you will see a spring clip the keeps the bulb in place. Remove the clip and you can maneuver the bulb out. Put the new bulb in and be careful not to touch the bulb. There are tabs on the bulb flange, make sure that they are seated correctly in the headlamp. Put the retainer clip back in place. Install the boot, with the "TOP" up. Reconnect the wiring harness and you are done. Make sure you have a flashlight and be patient....it will take about 5 minutes to maneuver the old bulb out and the new one back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's a video of me reviewing and installing and cussing and comparing said LED headlights...and driving lights!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts